So You Aren’t a Runner?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

While walking to class do you ever feel like everyone is running except you? It seems like, for some reason completely unknown to me, people at UVA actually enjoy running. Sure, running may have benefits for stress relief, weight loss, and general health, but it’s also monotonous, public, and requires a lot of different elements of fitness. If you’re like me and would rather die in the zombie apocalypse than run for your life, here are some alternatives that will keep you active without the horrors of running. 

1. Walk to class. Before Charlottesville turns into an arctic tundra, walking to class is a great way to get short bursts of exercise that don’t actually feel like exercise. If you already take a bus or drive to class, try parking farther away from your classes or getting off a stop earlier and walking the rest of the way. After all, 20 minutes of walking a few times a week is great for your mood and your health.

2. Take classes at the AFC. If you prefer a structured workout with other people as opposed to the monotony of running, fitness classes at the AFC are an easy and cheap alternative. You could bring along a buddy or organize one as a hall/suite/apartment bonding experience. A pass for a class is only $7 if you show your student id. Classes offered include pilates, cycling, zumba, and multiple types of yoga.

3. Do workout videos in your dorm/apartment. Workout videos may make you think of middle aged women doing 90s style step aerobics in their living rooms, but there is a variety of different videos on the Youtube that are quick and not as ridiculous as you probably think they are. If you don’t like the public aspect of running, doing an exercise video a couple times a week will get you active in the privacy of your own home. The “Victoria’s Secret Model Workout” video is a fun one to start out with, and it’s only 10 minutes long. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEdJRRndkQ)

4. Take a 1-credit fitness course. UVA offers a variety of 1-credit courses such as volleyball, yoga, women’s self defense, and scuba diving. These are a unique way to motivate yourself to be active a few times a week, and you’ll get the added bonus of credit hours for it. They fall under the KINE code on SIS, and are generally graded on a credit/no credit basis. The classes are a great way to try new forms of exercise and to have fun while doing them.

5. Check out fitness centers and studios off campus. Although the other alternatives are similar to running because they are cheap or free, yoga studios and gyms in Charlottesville would also be a great way to stay active without having to run. If you are looking for a challenge, Hot Yoga Charlottesville has 60 to 90 minute sessions of different types of hot yoga, and they offer discounts to full-time students. There’s also a Gold’s Gym about 2 miles away from campus, if you already have a membership from home that you don’t want to waste during the year.  

First year intended English major in the College of Arts and Science