stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Lace Up for Local Spring Races

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’re in the market for a new workout plan this semester, try running a local race. Registering for a race gives you a specific date and goal to work towards, which can help motivate you to stick to a running plan. Training for a race with a friend is a great way to have fun and spend quality time together while working out. And if you’re still not convinced, don’t forget that most race packages include post-race food, drinks, and t-shirts! Check out these four Spring races around Charlottesville, then lace up your shoes and hit the pavement!

Wine Lovers 5K (Saturday, February 11)

This scenic race takes place at Cardinal Point Vineyard, just twenty five minutes from UVA. The course of this race winds through the backroads surrounding the winery and is mostly flat, so it’s perfect for beginning runners. At the end of the run there’s live music and food, as well as a free wine tasting! A workout and wine, definitely a win-win.

The Charlottesville 10 Miler (Saturday, March 18)

This race prides itself on being “the area’s oldest footrace.” The 10 Miler is a not-for-profit organization that benefits several local charities each year. The 2017 beneficiaries include 100 Black Men of Central Virginia, the Foothills Child Advocacy Center, the Literacy Volunteers of of Charlottesville/Albemarle, and several secondary beneficiaries. The race is a great way to support community organizations, and the longer course gives you a tour of the city. If you’re a regular runner or just looking for a challenge, there’s still time to register for the 10 Miler.

The Virginia Hard Cider Run (Saturday, April 22)

This 5K takes place at Albemarle CiderWorks, just fifteen minutes from campus. By late April it should be nice and warm outside, so you can enjoy a run and then a complimentary glass of hard cider (in your very own commemorative cup!) after the race. I would definitely recommend buying a bottle on your way out to bring home. Cheers!

Hoos Heal 5K (Sunday, April 30)

This race is another way to benefit the community while getting fit: the Hoos Heal 5K benefits the UVA School of Nursing. And because the race begins at the AFC, it’s super convenient for all UVA students. Grab a couple of friends and enjoy the Spring weather while giving back to the school.

If you need help getting started with training, check out Runner’s World’s free online tool for creating a custom running plan. Happy running!