This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Coming back to school is not as easy as it may seem. For a lot of college students, summer was calm. There was more time to spend with friends and family; the to-do list felt more manageable; and going on vacation might have allowed for a complete mental reset. However, once we came back to school, our schedules quickly filled up with classes, homework, club meetings, and social events, leaving us scrambling for time to get our laundry done. When too many things happen at once, our minds can begin to race, making the stress feel far more scary than it needs to be. For some college students, the racing mind manifests into more physical symptoms, like chest pain, tightness in the throat, or exhaustion. 

I would describe coming back to college as just as overwhelming as it was exciting. My summer moved at a slow pace. I was a waitress with flexible hours, and I would spend time with my family and friends on the weekends. It was an intense transition to come back to school and deal with a part-time job, parties, maintaining friendships, classwork, and taking care of my new apartment all at once. I noticed immediately that I was always mentally going over my checklist and was having a lot of trouble getting and staying relaxed. 

On my first day of Child Psychology class, my professor introduced me to mindfulness practice. Mindfulness is the practice of being conscious and aware. It is often suggested for people who are experiencing anxious thoughts as a way of interrupting the cycle of anxiety. 

My professor relayed to us a study about  two groups of college students. One group was taught and then implemented mindfulness practice in their lives, and the other group continued as usual. At the end of the study, researchers found that the first group, who practiced mindfulness, reported lower levels of anxiety, slept better, and got sick less than the second group. Due to the results, we now practice mindfulness before class begins in Child Psych taking three minutes to breathe deeply. 

Since it is so helpful, how can college students bring mindfulness into our busy lives? Mindfulness is all about stopping what you are doing and focusing on the state of your body. Asking questions like, “how am I feeling?”, “Is my breathing stable?”, or even, “Am I hungry?” can do a great job of helping you slow down and assessing the state of your body. 

The easiest way to do this is by taking a few moments while you’re sitting before class or doing homework to scan your body. Look for simple things like how your body sits in the chair, if your fists are clenched, or there’s any discomfort in your body. This hopefully helps interrupt any anxiety. 

Meditation practice can be also extremely helpful in slowing down the mind and focusing on breathing. Apps like Calm and Headspace do a great job of providing guided meditations of any length. Getting these done early in the morning can regulate breathing and provide a clear outlook on the rest of the day. Other mindful activities include going outside to experience nature or participating in an exercise class and spending more time focusing on how you breathe instead of performance. 

A quick google search on the benefits of mindfulness brought up improved life satisfaction, physical and mental health, deeper and more sustained sleep, and less illness. Include these activities as much or as little in your daily routine as you like, but a little mindfulness can make a huge difference in taking care of yourself. 

Madeleine McCollum is from Bethesda, Maryland, and is thrilled about continuing her career at Her Campus UVA. She is a member of UVA's Student Entrepreneurs for Economic Development (SEED) club where she volunteers as a consultant for non-profits in Charlottesville. She has also interned for Lerch, Early & Brewer Law firm and Compass realty, assisting with their marketing operations. As a second year at UVA, she is very excited to keep writing for Her Campus and reading her peers' articles. In her free time, Madeleine loves to get out into nature, travel, curl up with a book, and go for runs.