This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTSA chapter.

Sometimes our minds can race faster than the speed of light. I know mine has, especially when times get tough. The start of a new semester, new classes, and new decisions can make our minds race or feel confused. BUT… LISTEN UP! Do not worry because worrying is like a rocking chair; it gives you something to do, but it takes you nowhere. 

So, here’s the deal. I understand we all go through things in life, but their impact is up to us. We have the power to either let something affect us or not. When we start to let something get to us, then our minds can takeover. Oh, do our minds love to run like they’re in the Olympics. There are ways, however, to ease our minds.

I am a Christian, so my go-to, whenever my mind feels overwhelmed, is to pray. All of us obviously come from different religious or non-religious backgrounds, but that is okay. Not overthinking during tough times is challenging but not impossible. I would love to share some great ways for you all to put your mind at ease and not feel confused anymore. So, here we go:

• Breathe.  Just take a deep breath to start, a couple if needed.

• Pray or do whatever suits you and feels comfortable. 

• Talk to someone you trust and vent to them. SCREAM if you want. 

• Start a healthy routine for yourself and for your body.

• If you feel well physically, then your mind will follow. 

I’m not here to say that doing these few things will automatically stop the confusion during tough times. I simply just wanted to provide some ways to make the tough times seem less tough. If you are going through anything that is making you feel overwhelmed, just relax and remember nothing has power over you!

Hi, I'm Natalie and am a junior at UTSA! Born and raised in San Antonio, I basically live at La Cantera mall. Catch me writing, reading or laughing too much!