This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 16-years-old. At the same time, I was told I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis. Hypothyroidism means that my thyroid functions slower than normal. Hashimoto’s is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid.

It should first be stated that there is so little support for thyroid issues. There are still so many things that are unknown, and hormone problems are so deeply personal that most treatments end up being trial-and-error. That is, to say the very least, frustrating. I take medication, but that’s only the surface of changes made when you find out your thyroid doesn’t work as it should.

When I was diagnosed, I was experiencing things like hair loss, fatigue, chronic illness and weight loss. When I started medication, I gained my weight back. I’ve had to fight for the other things.

Even though I’m taking the right dose of my thyroid supplement, there are a lot of symptoms that won’t go away. I still experience depression. I have massive brain-fog. I am chronically fatigued a lot of days, to the point that I can’t function without a nap.

With diet and exercise, these things are manageable. Some days are worse than others, though. There are times that I feel so hopeless about ever feeling normal. After a lot of research on anti-inflammatory diets, I learned that a gluten-free diet was a good option for me. Although I do feel better, I haven’t regained a full sense of normalcy.

Luckily, there are a lot of people around me that experience the same things I do. Sharing tips and experiences with them is the most helpful thing I can do.

Still, these symptoms are frustrating. If you know someone that deals with these sorts of symptoms, consider their dietary restrictions when hanging out and ask them how they’re doing every now and then. I know they’ll appreciate it.

We all deal with our own stories that are incredibly frustrating. Getting a hold on your health and fitness is a joyful moment. Take everything one day at a time, and you’ll get there. Don’t let your setbacks be the end.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.