Steps To Being Excited for Your Alarm To Go Off

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UTM chapter.

When I was in elementary, middle and high school, I woke up very early to get to school on time. I live almost thirty minutes from the main part of town, so I didn’t have much of a choice. However, I never felt that exhaustion of those five a.m. mornings until I was in high school. I felt it even more in college.

My job requires me to be at work at eight. I can’t schedule my classes later so that I sleep more or avoid the issue at all. Throughout the semester, I’ve learned to love those early mornings. It took a few simple life adjustments:

1. Plan breakfast. By no means do I meal prep, but I always like to know what I’m having for breakfast. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and it helps my blood sugar stay level. It’s so much easier to get out of bed if you know something delicious is waiting for you. Something simple like a bowl of oatmeal or a fried egg and some sausage will have me eager to turn my alarm off and get to the kitchen. Pinterest is full of quick breakfast ideas that you can try out.

1. Go to bed around the same time every night. I know this is a bummer for some people, but if you’re up and at ‘em early in the mornings, it’s a must. Getting good sleep consistently is key for a healthy day. Yes, you’ll still be tired sometimes, but it really helps a lot. That might mean you have to say no to those late nights during the week. Just remember how well-rested you’ll feel the next morning, and heading home a little early won’t feel like such a drag.

1. Allow enough time in the mornings to watch Netflix or Youtube. Every morning, I watch Good Mythical Morning, a morning Youtube series with hilarious hosts that do all sorts of goofy stuff. It gives me time to wake up, and it makes me smile. I try to allow that time to be uninterrupted me-time. Even if I’m just eating, it’s still good relaxing time.

1. Start it off with a glass of water. Realistically, this will get you out of bed pretty quickly anyways. If you drink enough water, you’ll likely have to go to the bathroom as soon as you wake up. I have found that’s a good way to get me out of bed and keep me out.

1. Stretch it out. You can start your stretches in bed, but getting that blood flowing is vital. Just a few forward folds or some arm stretches get you ready for the day.

Early mornings are really not that bad, I promise. I’ve come to enjoy that time to just sit and watch Youtube. I’m always the first one up, and that quiet time is quite enjoyable. Getting your day started early and strong means a day full of productivity.

I am a sophomore broadcast communications major and theatre minor at the University of Tennessee at Martin. When I’m not in class or participating in events on campus, I spend my time reading, doing yoga, working out, or petting my cats.
I am a pre-vet major who loves to laugh (especially at myself), drink coffee, and spend time with my dog, Cora. I moved from Massachusetts to Tennessee to attend college at UTM and compete for their division 1 rifle team.