This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utica chapter.

School, life and balancing it all can be challenging, it is important to be open to try things that can ease your mind and serve as a little break from the outside world. I understand first hand what it feels like to be stressed, anxious, sad, and just blah. Let me explain some tactics that have been effective in knocking down mental health funks!

Start Journaling

If you are looking for a journal to let you push your limits, reflect on your past, present, and future, Burn After Writing is the book for you. This journal lets you be honest without anyone watching. A second one for when you reach the twenties, the adult years, the dreaded years (lol), F*ck I’m in my Twenties is for the girls who realize that adulthood has arrived, it hits you like a runaway train, and there’s no escaping it. A third journal is a daily reflection prompts that can change the way you see life and how you act while making you feel empowered and able to achieve anything in life that you set your mind to. Be dominant and look at cRowned by Set In Soul. 

Take Mental Health Days

You work hard, you study hard, and deserve a day to sit in the bath, take a hot shower, sleep in, and binge-watch your favorite show or movies. I get it, you need a break, and baby that’s OKAY! YOU DESERVE IT!

Start Therapy

This is a sensitive topic, however, I am not here to tell you what to do, I am here to tell you that it is the best thing that keeps me sane every week-week. I won’t lie, it takes a while to find someone you trust and feel a connection to. I’m dropping the stereotype of therapy only being for those who have mental health disorders. It’s someone to talk to who is unbiased, only cares about you, and gives you advice on how to overcome the challenges you face in your life. Therapy needs to be normalized people!!!! 

Set Goals

Setting personal goals can make you motivated, drive you, and give you traits to work for what you want and you will not stop til you get there! You can also set habit goals such as getting 8 hours of sleep, workout for 30 mins every day, etc. This will help you implement good habits to overcome the bad ones and improve your mental health.

Exercise More

If you are someone like me, it can be dreadful, your mental health makes you feel unmotivated and down. Recently I just started going to the gym, and not only do I set goals for myself in the gym but at the end of the night I feel SO PROUD of myself, I feel great the next morning. It also helps to have someone to push you and has the same goals as you. It keeps you motivated and comfortable being at the gym. If you are looking for something simple, try Lauren Giraldo’s 12/3/30 method! All you need is a treadmill, set the incline to 12, speed of 3, and a time of 30 minutes! It’s so easy and SO EFFECTIVE! Take it from me! For more information, check out her youtube channel! 

Read Some Books

I used to read a lot when I was younger and I really try to get back into the groove of that. Not only is it mindful but also a way to take your mind off things for a little while. Right now I am reading The Home Edit Life by Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin, otherwise known as the girls from Get Organized with The Home Edit on Netflix, which not only is amusing to watch them, but it is also a way to read on how to be organized which can also be a sign of my mental health starting to deteriorate. (Also just so satisfying) 

Create a Motivation Wall

I just LOVE this idea. You dedicate a space of your wall, or perhaps you could write them in a journal, and find motivational quotes, sayings, and things to serve as inspiration, and affirmation to yourself. 

Social Media Detox

This is a little different than taking time away from social media. If you see someone posting negatively, or things that do not align with what you envision, DELETE. To this day, I do this monthly, because I would rather see myself surrounded by people who love me, not just follow me. Which leads me to my next one. 

Allow people to leave.

Detox can leave people with hurt feelings. I would try so hard to keep people in my life that was not meant to be in it. Become open to being the villain in someone’s story and live or learn from it because if you listen to your gut, you will always do what is best for you. Always remember it is not your job to owe an explanation or fight with anyone on what you think is best for you. You do NOT have to fight for someone to be in your life that is meant to be in it. 

Make a playlist and embrace yourself!

Making a playlist that you can dance to at 2 am by yourself is the perfect way to destress. So go grab your Mamma Mia soundtrack, Morgan Wallen song list, the 80s, and middle school playlist and dance like nobody’s watching!!!!

I hope you can implement at least one of the 10 things I have mentioned to improve your mental health. Above anything, find what works for you! You will try multiple things that may not work, but that is ok, be patient with yourself. Never give up, and never give in! XOXO. 

Senior CC for Her Campus @ Utica I love my cat & Utica Coffee that is all