morning products hero image?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
morning products hero image?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Emily Veith
Wellness

Turn This Quarantine into a Glow-antine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

During these uncertain times, I’ll be the first to admit that my anxiety is through the roof! Suddenly, I have all this free time and no motivation to do anything, and I know a lot of you are probably in the same boat. This pandemic is hard and all of your feelings are valid! You’re not selfish for being upset about not having a graduation ceremony or not being able to celebrate your birthday with friends. Life has completely turned upside down during these past four months and self-isolation is probably hard for all of you extroverts, but the introvert in me is telling you that it really isn’t that bad! You will be okay. If you are not an essential worker, stay inside and flatten the curve. Take this time to become a glow getter. Here are some things you can do to turn this quarantine into a glow-antine, because we can use this time to glow up — inside and out!

Exercise 

I am no fitness junkie nor am I an avid gym-goer, but I will occassionally engage in a short workout sesh from home. Each year I tell myself that I am going to go to the gym, but guess what? I lie. Even though I actually have a legit excuse not to go to the gym now, it’s still important to take care of your body. I dedicate fifteen minutes each day to do a small workout — usually sit-ups or squats. For sit-ups, I slide my feet under the couch and blast a fun playlist to get to work. I will also get up every thirty minutes to walk around and get my blood flowing. If I have time to spare throughout the day, I’ll exercise for more than just fifteen minutes, but it’s a good start! Trust me, your body will thank you when things settle down, and it will improve your mood (: 

Here are some other ways to get your body moving while stuck at home. 

Eat Healthy

The only way you’re going to boost your immune system is by eating healthy. Stock up on fruit and vegetables because you can’t magically get healthy overnight. Your body needs the essential nutrients found in these foods, so skip the soda and drink some water instead. Pinterest is full of recipes for healthy alternatives to your guilty pleasure foods, so get online and start cooking! Remember to stay hydrated and keep washing those hands!

Skin Care

Take this time to invest in your skin. I know my bby girl, epidermis, is going through so much right now with all this stress and anxiety. I’ve been drinking so much water and moisturizing my skin like crazy — especially my hands, which have gotten so ashy! Pamper yourself with a sheet mask or a homemade scrub before you go to bed. Our skin is our largest barrier against infection, so it’s important to make sure it stays strong and clean. If you have never been into skin care, now is the time to experiment and figure out what works and doesn’t work for you. 

Experiment With Makeup

If you’re going to experiment with different makeup looks, now is the time to do it. I know it seems silly to get ready just to go to the living room, but hear me out. If it looks bad, no one is going to see it. If you create a look that you love, you have time to perfect it! YouTube is full of beauty gurus who have mastered hundreds of different makeup looks, so why not take the time to experiment and see what works for you? Some of my favorite gurus are NikkieTutorials, Sophdoeslife, Arnellaarmon, and KathleenLights.

Learn Something New

With all this free time on your hands, you might as well learn how to play the didgeridoo. Now is the time to learn someting you always told yourself you wanted to learn. Whether it’s painting with coffee or speaking German, you have the internet, YouTube, and the App Store at your disposal. 

Reconnect With Friends and Family

During these uncertain times anything could happen, so check up on the ones you love and care about. If you’re wondering how an old friend is doing, but you haven’t spoken to them in years — reach out! Who knows what tomorrow will bring, so don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation. A simple text or phone call could make a world of difference to someone. Call your grandparents and tell your parents and friends how much you love them (:

Marie Kondo Your Social Media

With all this negativity in the air, I have taken it upon myself to cleanse my social media. “Does it spark joy?” is Marie Kondo’s iconic question, and I ask myself this as I scroll through my Instagram feed. Social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter are great to connect with friends and have shareworthy memes, but they can also take a toll on your mental health. If you don’t want to offend someone by unfollowing them, you can mute their account so they stop apprearing on your feed (BLESS). Follow accounts that spark joy — for me, that’s @catsdoingthings and @hercampusutah (:

Appreciate the Little Things

Being able to social distance is a priviledge. Some people don’t have a home to quarantine in or running water to wash their hands. There are thousands of people in Kashmir and Gaza that have been on lockdown for years, hundreds of thousands of people starving in Yemen, and countless asylum seekers that face closed borders. The list goes on and on. There is so much that we take for granted, and this puts a lot of things into perspective for most people who have never had to deal with such hardships. It’s so easy to complain about the hardships the pandemic has brought, but a few months for you could be a lifetime for others. 

Self-isolating can be a b*tch, but you can make the most of it through self-reflection and self-care. Remember to stay safe and healthy and to thank all the essential workers in your life. Stay kind and optimistic, and don’t take the little things for granted (:

Farah majoring in sociology and minoring in political science. She is the Director of Recruitment and Director of Social Media of Her Campus Utah for the 2020-2021 school year. She loves painting with coffee and drinking lemonade.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor