Kate Pettit: The Utah Alumna That Breaks The Mold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Kate Pettit, Utah alumni/local, has always had a love for life. Growing up on the coast of California, she has always been excited about sports, even playing for the University of Utah volleyball team during her time as a collegiette.  The 30 year old continues to lead a life of fitness while also balancing her work and her family.  She is a mother of five children, triplet boys and twin girls.  The day I sat down with her, she was hesitant to brag about her incredible achievements in running, such as winning a half marathon the weekend before, or on a non-competitive scale, waking up that morning at 5:30am to go on a twelve mile run in order to be home by 8:00am to make her family breakfast.  Not to mention she had cooked me a wonderful home-cooked meal, followed by a pazookie dessert, and ending the night with a dance party with the whole family.  This interview gives you a small glimpse into the hectic but exciting world of the Pettit family.

HC: Tell us a little about yourself!

KP: Hi there! Over the course of my life I have gained many titles, some of which include: Daughter, Sister, Nanny, 2nd grade Teacher, Runner, Wife, Mother, Cook, Homemaker, Barre Instructor, Piano Teacher, and of course a University of Utah Alumni. 

HC: What were you involved in during your collegiette time at the U?

KP: I came to the University of Utah from California excited to live in the brand new dorms that were built for the 2002 Winter Olympic athletes. I loved my time at the U and was extremely involved with everything from dorm life, to intermural sports, sororities, the MUSS, I even represented the College of Education in the ASUU program. I made long lasting friendships and fell in love with the state of Utah. My senior year of college I met my husband on a blind date. We were married in July of 2007. He was also a student at the U, studying accounting. I graduated from the University of Utah in 2007 with a degree in Elementary Education. I later pursued my Master’s in Education while teaching 2nd grade. I loved my time at the U. 

HC:  Brag a little bit about your home life and your perfect kids.

KP:  Flash forward twelve years and we now live in Salt Lake City with our five incredible children. Yes, you read that right… FIVE! And yes I am only 30 years old. We were blessed with triplet boys who were born on Aug. 29th, 2010 and then 3 ½ years later blessed with twin girls who were born on June 9th, 2014. I am the only “singleton” in our family of seven. My husband is an identical twin as well. YES… I do have “my hands full”, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. My kids have taught me more about life in these short 5 years than I have learned in my 30 years combined. Although life can get hard, it is important to remember to take time for ME as Kate, not just as Mom.

HC:  Tell us about your relationship with fitness, what marathons have you run recently, and what is in store for the future?

KP:  I love to exercise. It fulfills so many facets of my life. Running has become my therapy as a full-time mother. I love to wake up early in the morning before any of my kids are awake and go running outside in the mountains or with friends. I love to challenge my body and race in half/full marathons. I am currently training for the St. George Marathon and hope to finish it in less than 3 hours. I just completed the Big Cottonwood Half Marathon and took 1st place overall for women with a time of 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was an amazing feeling! I also love to cross-train. I recently became a certified Barre instructor and teach two classes a week in the evenings when my husband is home.

HC:  Is there any advice you have for collegiate women at the U?

KP:  My best advice to you incredible women who are pursuing your collegiate dreams is to shoot for the stars! I mean it, I never EVER imagined this is where my life would lead me, and I’m so grateful that I took my degree seriously. I use it daily with my five children as I try and teach five completely different learners within the walls of my own home.

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor