This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Life in college can get pretty chaotic. From friend and boy drama to homework, classes, and jobs, finding time to catch some zzz’s can be pretty hard. Here are some tips on how to utilize any extra time you have in the day to make up for staying up late studying/partying.

1. Get Comfortable

Getting comfortable doesn’t have to mean wearing PJ’s or sweats. Something as simple as loosening your belt or taking out your ponytail can make a huge difference when trying to nap effectively.

2. Find a Good Nap Spot

There isn’t always enough time to head home for a quick siesta. A good nap spot is 1) warm 2) safe and 3) somewhat quiet. Campus has a lot of great places for catnaps, including the “womb” chairs in the library (amazingly comfortable), benches outside (when it’s warm out), and the first floor lounge in the Union building. You can even nap on public transit — though be sure not to miss your stop!

3. Set a Timer

A 10-20 power nap should be sufficient to freshen you up on a hectic day. Be sure not to sleep 30+ minutes, as you’ll get “sleep inertia” and wake up groggy and feeling sleep-hungover. If you really need a full sleep cycle to help cope, however, 90 minutes should be perfect to get you in and out of REM and ready to continue your day. 

4. Come Prepared

If you know there’s going to be an awkward amount of time scheduled into your day, remember to bring some nap supplies. A small blanket or pillow, or even a long coat can go a long ways in making you feel cozy enough for a little snooze. 

Between parties and midterms, currently, college students get an average of 6-6.9 hours of sleep when they should be getting 8 to function! Lack of sleep can cause weight gain, poor health, and increased mental health issues. Moral of the story, get out there and nap, colliegettes! 

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Pro Tip: Search google for napping baby animals. Adorable. 

Hello! I am a junior studying Peace & Conflict Studies and Strategic Communication at the University of Utah. I am also minoring in Political Science. I am passionate about advocacy, education, and Star Trek!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor