rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

There’s no doubt that college is stressful. Between tests, social life, and jobs it’s a wonder anyone has time for actually learning anything. With all the stuff that’s happening in our lives, it’s easy to forget to take care of ourselves. Self-care, however, should always be the first priority. As the old adage goes, you can’t take care of others if you can’t take care of yourself. Here are tips and tricks on how to de-stress.  

Watch satisfying YouTube videos

Falling down a YouTube rabbit hole may not be the most productive way to spend your time, but it’s a great way to quickly de-stress before a class or event. I would suggest power-washing videos. Something about them just calms a person.

Do a different bedtime routine

Try having a bath instead of a shower, doing a face mask, or having a nice glass of tea (decaf, of course). These things will signal to your brain that it’s time to relax.

Do some meditation

Meditation doesn’t look the same for everyone. You don’t have to sit cross-legged with your eyes closed if that doesn’t work for you. You could practice mindfulness by writing in a journal, relax while listening to classical music, or anything that allows you to take stock of how your mind and body are doing.

Make sure you’re getting enough sleep

Sometimes you may think you’re feeling really depressed and anxious when in actuality your body just needs some extra sleep. Sleep is the way your brain is able to process all of the information from the day. Sleeping can never be a waste of your time because it improves recall of information, making you a better student without the extra studying.

Exercise

Being active may be incredibly difficult in your busy schedule, but it’s been proven to improve mood. Fitting in a little extra time to get active is a great way to prevent life from becoming overwhelming.

De-stressing can seem like a daunting task, especially if you’re already stressed. Try some of these tips today and treat yourself to some stress-free moments in your busy life.

Hello! I am a junior studying Peace & Conflict Studies and Strategic Communication at the University of Utah. I am also minoring in Political Science. I am passionate about advocacy, education, and Star Trek!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor