Wellness

A Compilation of the Best Advice I’ve Ever Received

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Sometimes, there are people in our lives that just seem to have it all figured out. They are confident in themselves and always give the best advice. Lucky for me, I have several great influences in my own life, and I’ve collected some of these shared bits of wisdom to share with you. I hope they help you as much as they’ve helped me.

Dress for Where You Want to Be

This piece of advice is from my mom. She has always told me it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. It shows an effort to leave an impression, and makes you stand out in a crowd.

Look Better, Feel Better

Anytime you feel sick or under the weather, I’ve found it makes me feel better overall if I try to dress up even more. Mind over matter. It often improves your physical state to put your mental state in a better place.

Sometimes People Won’t Like You Because Others Love You

Ever feel like someone dislikes you for a reason you can’t seem to figure out? We won’t always have an answer to why. But a unique perspective on jealousy given to me by my mom (moms always have the best advice) was that sometimes people hate the way others love you, instead of them.

If It Makes You Nervous, That Means It’s Important

This advice was given to me by my stepdad after I talked to him about being overly nervous for an upcoming event I had. He told me the best way to deal with the stress was to remember that I was nervous because it was about something of value and importance to me, which meant it was okay and natural for me to be nervous.

You Have to Take Care of Yourself Before Others

This is a piece of advice I’m sure we have all been told before, and it still stands true. As great as it is to take care of others, you cannot fully give your best support and love to another person (or people) without making sure your needs are being met first. Giving energy to someone else that could be spent on making sure you are in a healthy physical and mental state is counterproductive to the success of you and the person(s) you are trying to take care of.

Learn to Like Being Alone

This piece of advice has been passed onto me through several family members, friends, and cute tumblr posts. Being alone can be one of the most lonely and boring things to experience, but if done right, it can be an incredible way to express self-love and care. Try doing things you like for yourself alone, and find enjoyment and confidence in being able to be by yourself (just as much as you can when you are with others).

You Choose to Get Offended

I heard this gem from my best friend and roommate. At first, I was very dissatisfied with the perspective of looking down on someone getting offended for something done wrong. But in an overall view, this simply means you are the only one in charge of your emotions and reactions to your surroundings. Circumstances can arise where we do feel offended or intentionally hurt, and not to say that whomever caused those feelings isn’t at fault or in the wrong, but you are in control of your responses to whatever life throws at you. Our reactions often make a bigger difference than the situation that upset us in the first place.

I hope these few advice tips I’ve collected were as insightful and thought-provoking to you as they have been to me throughout the years. Hopefully the can assist you in whatever aspects of your life you need them.

Image Sources: 1, 2

Writer of things you can probably learn yourself but from my perspective. Achievements include having never eaten a salad and seeing every Dr.Phil episode ever aired. Goals include getting Taylor Swift to reply to my fan mail and eventually writing a few books.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor