absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

An apple a day brings fall your way. The breakfast, lunch, and dinner challenge helps get you in the mood for fall by incorporating a seasonal ingredient into your meals. This week’s recipes will feature apples – this crisp and juicy fruit contains no fat, sodium, or cholesterol and is a good source of fiber. Here are three recipes to get you ready for the season!

Breakfast:

Oatmeal Stuffed Apples

These are a great way to kick off your morning with a filling and delicious breakfast. These oatmeal stuffed apples are easy to prep and prepare for busy weeks, this recipe was adapted from The View from Great Island.

Ingredients:

• 4 apples
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup milk (any kind of milk will work)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp chopped walnuts 
  • Garnish ideas: brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, whipped cream, yogurt, creme fraiche, or half and half

Instructions: 

1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Mix the oats, milk and cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside for an hour. You can do this the night before if you like.
  3. Slice the top 1/4 off the apples and remove the core with a paring knife and a spoon. Widen the cavity just a bit so it can accommodate the oatmeal.
  4. Mix the oatmeal with the nuts and spoon it into the apples, pushing down slightly to fill the apple completely.
  5. Set the apples in a baking dish and add about 1/2 inch hot water to the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until everything is hot and the apples are tender.
  6. Serve immediately with the garnishes of your choice.

Lunch:

Apple Broccoli Salad

Lunches can get so bland during the workweek, so why not spruce your midday meal up with this easy and seasonal salad?

Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy  

Ingredients:

• 4 cups small diced broccoli florets 
  • 2 small gala apples , cored dnd diced
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 cup matchstick carrots , roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup golden raisins or dried cranberries
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • Container of Marie’s Poppy Seed Dressing

Instructions:

In a salad bowl toss together broccoli, apples, walnuts, carrots, raisins or cranberries and red onion. Pour in dressing and toss until evenly coated.

Dinner:

Apple and Gouda Stuffed Chicken

Not every apple has to be sweet. Try this savory recipe to spice up your cool fall evenings.

Recipe adapted from Jamonkey

Ingredients:

• Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • Honeycrisp Apples
  • Aged Gouda
  • Fresh Thyme
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Instructions:  

1.  Preheat oven to 400°F
  2. Slice chicken ¾ of the way through making sure not to cut all the way through.
  3. Cut apples into slices
  4. Cut gouda into slices
  5. Place one slice of apple and one slice of gouda into each opening of chicken
  6. Season with freshly chopped thyme, salt, and pepper.
  7. Place chicken in pan and cover with aluminum foil.
  8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until chicken is cooked.

Happy Fall! 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor