sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Stay Sane This School Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As another school year begins, so does another year of constantly stressing out about having to do everything in your color-coated, Lilly Pulitzer planner.  As the years go on, it seems like we have less and less free time to do the things we enjoy, and more importantly, take care of ourselves.  Of course, sanity should always come first, and for the little slivers of time that we carve out to enjoy our day, here are some suggestions that are good for the body and for the soul:

1. Go to the Gym

We are very lucky here at the University of Utah to have a facility as impressive as the Student Life Center.  Whenever you are feeling down, low on energy, or have a compulsion to punch your roommate because she plays her music on full blast at 6 a.m., having a quick work out can make the biggest difference in the world.  As Elle Woods once said, “Exercise gives you endorphins.  Endorphins make you happy.  Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands.”

2.  Netflix

It is no secret that every collegiette is in a devoted and loving relationship with their Netflix account.  Netflix allows us to turn our brains off for half-hour episodes at a time and get soaked into the world of Friends, Stranger Things, or Orange is the New Black.  A mindless activity such as this will help hit the restart button after a stressful day.

3.  Music

Invest in a good pair of headphones in order to transport yourself into another world with music.  It doesn’t matter what genre you are into, music is proven to help a person relax and let go of excess tension.  Apple Music offers three free months of streaming if you have an iPhone, and it gives you access to an endless selection of radio, playlists, and songs.  Music is so accessible because it can be listened to in bed, on the go, at the gym, really whenever and wherever (just not in class).

4.  Vent Sessions

One of the only ways to stay sane, in my humble opinion, is venting.  We endure so much bull#@*! every single day and our insanity-bottles start to fill up.  They get so, so full, and if we don’t empty them, it’s a matter of time before we explode.  Try to avoid crying/screaming/mental breakdowns by letting your feelings out every once in a while.  We all need a person who we can tell anything and everything, and once you find that person, use them!  Tell them everything that is going wrong with your life and celebrate everything that is going right with your life.  Just remember that you have to be that person for your friend, too!

5.  Beauty

Stress is often associated with one of the most horrid abnormalities known to man: ACNE.  We’ve all had it, we’ve all had to deal with it.  Eventually, we need to accept that with the beginning of the school year comes imperfections and dark circles, but there are also ways to help them.  Investing in a good brightening facial mask helps refresh the face and keep pores clear and happy.  Also, we must never forget the golden rule: wash your makeup off each night.  Now, more than ever, we need to get our butts to the bathroom at the end of the night, no matter how tired we are, and wash our faces!  It keeps our skin healthy and glowing and prevents those nasty little pimples from ruining our day.

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor