3 Ways to Self-Care This Week That Aren’t Watching TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The importance of self-care has been a huge topic lately.  A lot of you still may not know exactly what self-care is; so let me help you out!  Self-care is allowing yourself to take time from your day to do something that is completely 100% FOR YOU, in order to rejuvenate. The purpose of self-care is to take care of yourself, so that you can move forward in your daily life more efficiently due to the fact that you have taken care of yourself.  A lot of us forget to self-care on a daily basis, but it is extremely important to set aside time every day to do so. Self-care is a type of “reset button” that could make a huge difference in your future tasks, especially with the end of the school year approaching.

A lot of people watch TV in order to relax, but perhaps television is not the answer to taking care of ourselves. Here are a few ways to self-care this week that aren’t just watching TV:

Thirty minute walks

Exercise is important, but most of us struggle to get it in every day.  Exercise doesn’t have to mean switching between arm day and leg day all the time; it could be as simple as taking a walk.  Daily thirty-minute walks have been proven to help with stress.  Walking everyday can also reduce your risk of heart disease, especially if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, and it can aid blood flow to your brain, perhaps making it easier to focus on your studies after your walk.  Since we have moved into spring and summer months, the sun should be in the sky long enough for us to take walks around the neighborhood even after school and work.

De-cluttering

I know, I know, I’m basically asking you to do chores as part of your self-care.  But the truth is that after spending an hour getting rid of old stuff, you will feel free.  Start by taking a look at your closet, and if you haven’t worn an “every day” item in a full calendar year, donate it.  If you look at an item and it doesn’t bring you joy anymore, donate it.  Even if you look at an item and say “well, maybe Ill eventually wear this,” donate that too. I promise that you will not miss them. You don’t have to make a drastic life change and become a minimalist, but getting rid of stuff you don’t need is like getting rid of a giant weight you are carrying around, and you will feel more fulfilled. TIP: Sell your clothes to Uptown Cheapskate, and everything they don’t buy, they donate to the Utah Foster Care affiliates!

Call Someone You’ve Been Meaning to Call

Do you ever come across someone’s contact in your phone and think, “wow, it’s been a while, I should probably catch up with them?”  Call them.  Trust me, they will appreciate the call just as much as you will.  It’s like self-care for two people at once!  Being able to reflect to someone what has been going on in your life will not only allow you to catch them up, it will also provide you a time to appreciate all that has happened to you in the recent past.  In return, be a good listener while your old friend keeps you up to date as well.

Doing just one of these things could drastically improve your week and make the daunting tasks ahead look a little less scary. Self-care is important, pass it on!

I am an acting major who has a soft spot for puppies.  I cry whenever I see Christmas lights or hear Christmas music because the magic of Christmas is just too overwhelming.  I am completely and utterly obsessed with boba, Disneyland, Tom Hardy, and salt n' vinegar chips.  I'm from, like, California, and it's, like, pretty noticeable somehow.  In the future I want to live in a big city and be exactly like my mom because she is perfect in every way.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor