This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

If you or someone you know is in an emergency, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or call 911 immediately.

Did you know that this month is National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month?

This month is important because, according to the CDC, suicide is still the leading cause of death. This month is important because suicide rates have increased by 30% from 1999 to 2016.  This month is important because in 2016, 45,000 people committed suicide.

This month is important because people need to talk more openly about topics regarding mental health and suicide.

September became the month to focus the spotlight on talking about resources and stories, reaching out for help, and raising awareness for how serious this problem is. September is a month to break down stereotypes and stigmas that arise when talking about these issues.

One of the main reasons people generally don’t feel comfortable seeking help is because they see others criticized for it. People don’t want to talk to their friends or family when their peers tell them to “suck it up” or not to feel bad because “someone else has it worse.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with mental health issues or thoughts of suicide, there are so many places that you can turn to for help.

Remember that you can always call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) or call 911 immediately.

7 Cups is “the world’s largest emotional support system” and a great resource to start with. 7 Cups provides a community for you and others who are struggling with a safe place to connect, talk about issues, and to just find people who care about you. There are discussion forums, different mindfulness exercises, and a place to connect with people to chat about whatever you need to talk about.

While the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a great resource as well if you are having thoughts of suicide, there is also an option to open a private chat room with you and counselors for emotional support. While there may be a little bit of a wait time, the counselors will listen to you with compassion and understanding. They will offer help, resources, and kindness.

The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is also a great place for resources. They are the “nation’s largest grassroots organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.” If you check online, there may be a local chapter in your county, and they offer classes, support groups, and other helpful resources. On their website, you can find stories from people who went through something like what you’re going through.

If your financial situation allows you, finding a therapist is never a bad idea. It may be scary at first, but it can help you if you need more of an in-person connection.

Sometimes people with mental illnesses tend to isolate themselves, and sometimes the simplest tasks become the hardest ones. You will hear over and over again that if you’re struggling, you should just reach out to someone and ask for help. But sometimes that task feels almost impossible.

This is why I’m also speaking to the friends and family. Instead of waiting for someone to come to you, message that person. Reach out to them and realize that maybe they can’t ask you for help. Asking them how their day was or if they’re okay could make all the different in the world. Maybe they won’t want to talk to you, but you won’t know if you don’t try.

I rarely talk about this topic or my experiences, but I feel like I should start. I feel like we need to open up these avenues for conversations, because I’ve seen the way someone else’s face lights up when they see that someone else relates to that one feeling they convinced themselves they were crazy for feeling. I’ve seen the way raw and emotional stories surprised people because the author put into words what they were experiencing. I’ve seen people’s eyes illuminate when they realize that they have hope.

So don’t feel like you have to do this on your own.

Don’t think that suicide is the way out.

The world needs you.

“Whatever you are feeling right now, there is a mathematical certainty that someone is feeling the that exact thing. This is not to say you aren’t special. This is to say thank God you aren’t special.” -Neil HIlborn, This is Not the End of the World

HC,

Alyssa Harmon

Alyssa Harmon is a senior at USFSP and is majoring in English Writing Studies and minoring in Mass Communication. For her senior year, she is also working on her thesis project for the Honors College. She is the current senior editor for the USFSP Her Campus chapter, as well as the 2017-2018 president and the 2018-2019 vice president for the Alpha Xi Phi chapter of Sigma Tau Delta. In addition, she is the editor-in-chief of Papercut Literary Journal. Alyssa lived all around the country until 2013 when she and her family moved to Florida. Alyssa has a passion for reading and writing, and she's been doing that since she learned how to. Once she graduates, she wants to hopefully publish a book of some of her poetry and work as a copy editor at a publishing company. When she's not doing homework, you can find her downtown, at the beach, or in a bookstore.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.