kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: Tips for Better Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I don’t know about you, but sleep is my favorite thing on earth! Not only is sleep relaxing and pleasant it is also essential for both your physical and emotional well-being. Unfortunately, college is not the best atmosphere for getting enough deep, restful sleep. Why sleep when you have homework to do, studying to accomplish and parties to attend? That’s why I wanted to share with you the three best better-sleeping tips I’ve learned from my college experience

1.       Your bed is your nest

The place you sleep is crucial to good sleep. Dorm and college apartment beds are not the best quality mattresses. That’s why you should splurge on quality mattress-toppers, pillows and linens. Last year I bought this inexpensive mattress topper from Walmart to put on my apartment-issued bed. I never realized how uncomfortable my bed was until the mattress topper made it heavenly, and my sleep quality really did improve. That’s why you should make sure your bed is your comfortable temple.

2.       Drown out sound with white noise makers

College dorms and apartments can be loud places at all hour of the day. Music, parties and cars create noise all night long. There were so many nights I couldn’t sleep because the sounds outside were so disrupting. Then I discovered white noise and nature sound apps. These sounds are relaxing and drown out the distracting noise. NatureSpace is my favorite (I even repped it in this article about study apps from last year).

3.       Plan your sleep

Congratulations! You’ve now made it to the point of your life where you have to plan everything! That includes sleep! Sometimes late nights are inevitable. Make up for your lack of shut-eye by scheduling nights you can get 8 hours of sleep. For instance, I have a huge project due tomorrow and it will take me all night to do. Therefore, I planned ahead and got 8 hours of sleep last night. I suggest you do the same. Figure out what days you can catch up on sleep and which days you will probably lack sleep. Try to make it so that you get the optimal 6-8 hours of sleep most nights of the week.

PHOTO SOURCE: https://www.google.com/url?sa=…

Hey there! My name is Samantha Stern and I'm a graduating senior of mass communication with a concentration on magazine journalism at the University of South Florida. I've been writing for Her Campus USF since January 2013 and this semester I was appointed editor-in-chief of the online publication. Life is a stressful thing and I want to provide a means of escape and self- improvement for young women, as well as for myself, by writing fun, engaging and useful content accessible anytime and anywhere via the internet.My ultimate goal is to empower women in their 20's. Women are hungry for everyday life advice. They crave tips for achieving the ideal in money, intelligence, beauty, fashion, health and lifestyle. I will satiate their informational appetite and, more importantly, help them become their outright best by writing fun and practical content relevant to the modern 20-something.When I'm not writing you can find me reading magazines (duh!) and books, taking long, hot baths and exploring local haunts with friends and family.Feel free to follow we on Twitter @samantha__stern or check out my resume and portfolio by clicking here.  
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.