Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Stress Management in College: Day to Day Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Before we jump on in, give yourself a pat on the back. A long mental hug. You go to U S freaking C. Life is stressful as it is, and college comes with a lot of pressure and responsibilities that can get overwhelming. Here are the lifestyle changes I made that have made managing my stress and anxiety that much easier:

Starting your day off right

Most college students underestimate just how big a role sleep plays in our well-being. Lack of proper sleep not only affects our moods but can actually physically affect our health. Start your day off right by getting 7-8 hours of sleep as often as you can. I know how difficult that can be because of noisy neighbors, distractions, or your academic load. Don’t worry if you don’t get the full 8 hours here and there, but maintaining a solid sleep schedule should be your top priority. If you have an iPhone, try using your bedtime mode in the clock app where you can set your bedtime and wake time, and it will peacefully pull you out of sleep with soothing music before your alarm goes off. Being eased into waking up will really improve your initial mood. 

Do you ever wake up and feel like you didn’t get any sleep? That’s because your body was awake even though you weren’t. To make sure you’re getting good sleep, allow 2-3 hours of no eating before you decide to sleep. Not only is eating close to bedtime bad for your digestion, but it also keeps your poor tummy up all night digesting food. 

If you’re like me, sleeping can be difficult when you’re experiencing even the slightest stress and anxiety. Sometimes it’ll take me more than an hour to fall asleep, even if I’m just laying in bed. To prevent lying awake at night, you can take 100% natural sleeping pills made from lavender, chamomile, and valerian extract. If you don’t want to take any pills, chamomile tea and pistachios create natural melatonin!

Good morning habits are just as important as good sleep habits. Open your blinds, let the sun in, and make your bed. Have a cup of tea, water, or coffee and a good breakfast in the morning sun. Fifteen to thirty minutes of sunlight a day can boost our energy and mood, even if it’s just coming in through the window!

At school

I think we can all agree that our minds can run a little wild in class. We get distracted with other courses, upcoming assignments, and responsibilities. You can practice being present in the classroom in more than a few ways. Pick a specific seat that you visit often. This will help you to create a habit of focus and the location in the classroom will trigger it. Also, mindful breathing can go a long way. When you find yourself becoming distracted, take a few grounding breaths and focus back on the lecture. Finally, as silly as it may seem, having a beverage with you in class is an excellent way to keep focus. When you pick up your drink, notice what all of your senses are doing at the moment and get back to the present. 

Usually, I experience the most stress academically when I fall behind in my studying or when I procrastinate on my assignments. I use a daily planner and Google Calendar to help keep me organized. As far as studying and homework, set reasonable goals for your daily to-do list! It’s just as productive and feels better mentally. Cramming isn’t the best way to study and it can be frustrating when you don’t finish in time. 

Ending the day right

Ending the day right is your first step to having a good tomorrow! As a busy college student, it’s easy to lean towards a cup of noodles and frozen food but try to incorporate some real, fresh food into your diet as much as you can. Some foods that promote happy hormones are salmon, dark chocolate, berries and honey, spinach, and almonds. 

Establishing a solid bedtime routine will let you wind down from the day. Take your lavender pill or drink some bedtime tea while you’re getting ready for bed. Don’t skip that skincare routine! Good skincare habits can be therapeutic as well. 

Set aside 30 minutes before bed with no electronics — no iPad, iPhones, computers, anything with electricity. Blue light keeps our brains awake, so put away your phone for the night after setting your bedtime hours on the clock app. Instead, read a book, meditate, or do some bedtime yoga to quiet your mind before trying to sleep.

To destress

When you find yourself in the middle of an ocean of stress, here are some ideas to help you to unwind.

• Go workout, even if it’s only for 15 minutes! Exercise reduces the body’s stress hormones, such as adrenaline and cortisol, and stimulates the production of endorphins which are chemicals in the brain that are the body’s natural painkillers and mood elevators. 

• Yoga is another excellent way to destress. There are many different types of yoga, so you can Google a relaxing yoga routine. 

• BREATHE! Don’t underestimate the power of deep breathing! Take those few minutes of deep breaths to bring your heart rate and stress level back down.

• A nice, relaxed drive can sometimes be so therapeutic. Put on your favorite song, roll the windows down, and just cruise.

• Be gentle with yourself.  College conditions us to have high expectations for ourselves. Take a step back and appreciate all that your mind and body do for you!

If you ever feel like your stress or anxiety is too much for you to handle, the USC Student Health Center has some great resources to help you. Reach out to the Engemann or Eric Cohen Student Health Centers to find out more about individual therapy, group therapy, and more. 

USC 24/7 Crisis line: 213-740-9355 (WELL)

USC Student Support and Advocacy: (213) 821-4710

USC Student Counseling Services: (213) 740-7711

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255

Lauren is a sophomore at the University of Southern California and is pursuing double majors in English Literature and Art history. She's lived in southern California for the entirety of her life. She loves mountains, wineries, reading & her animals.
Katie Muschalik is a film student at the University of Southern California. Everything she ever needed to know she learned from a Judy Blume book.