This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC chapter.

Sitting in class from 9AM-5PM, clubs from 5PM to 9PM, and then secluded to Leavey Library into the late hours, it easy to forget to get your heart pumping and muscles burning – or to get fit! According to USC student, Katie Austin, getting “fit” is not solely about physicality, but more importantly your level of happiness in your body. Austin is becoming well known in the fitness world, as she encourages girls not to neglect their wellbeing, and to stay motivated on a healthy journey. As in the words of Austin, “If you love your body, you will love your life!” After a conversation with Austin, Her Campus is ready to break a sweat following along to one of Austin’s intense workout videos!

Year: Senior

Major: Communications

Minor: Cinematic Arts

Hometown: Arlington, Virginia

Her Campus USC: Who was it that first brought fitness into your life?

Katie Austin: My biggest inspiration has been my mom, Denise Austin, an iconic fitness instructor who had her own fitness show for twenty-five years. At only six weeks old I was immersed into the fitness world, as I traveled alongside my mother and watched her film workout routines on the beach. I have wanted to be her since I was born!

HCUSC: At what point did you really realize you wanted to pursue a career in health and athleticism?

KA: An athlete my entire life, fitness has always been a part of my daily routine. Yet, I never imagined it as a career, until after my freshman year at USC. A year playing on the USC D1 lacrosse team, I recognized how much I genuinely cared about fitness. I thought why not start what I actually want to do? It started with being featured on the Trojan Vision fitness segment, and then progressed into starting my own website and videos.

HCUSC: Can you tell me more about your website?

KA: I have my own website, http://getfitwithkatie.com, which has a blog, any kind of workout videos imaginable, recipe videos, and athletic apparel for sale. In addition to my website, I published my first book last year, Love Your Body, Love Your Life: 28 Days to a More Beautiful You. It is about encouraging the reader to explore self-love and become one with themselves; it is a journey to be confident.

HCUSC: You know so many fitness routines! What is your favorite?

KA: My favorite is dance cardio! I love teaching dance cardio because it is so fun and upbeat with loud music. You don’t even need to be good at dance to do it either!

HCUSC: What is the best advice you can give to college girls on how to increase their fitness?

KA: The little things really add up. Find as much time as possible to include fitness. Instead of riding your bike to class, walk one day. Choose not to party too hard one night, so you can wake up early and workout. Always carry a reusable water bottle with you to class, so that you can stay hydrated. Something that I find incredibly helpful is to establish a workout routine, just like you do for your class schedule. Make your workout something you have to do five times a week, like your academic classes. If you have a free hour on Tuesday between classes, you need to utilize that hour and get to the gym!

HCUSC: At Leavey Library all afternoon studying for a midterm, what is a quick workout for a study break?

KA: Desk exercises! For every hour you are sitting down, it is so important that you dessert your desk and walk around for 5-10 minutes. You can do tricep dips and leg lifts on your chair, and pushups on the desk. These are quick 5-minute routines that will help relieve stress, and send endorphins to your body so you can keep studying. When I need a study break, I dedicate five minutes to raising my heart rate with high knees, butt kicks, and jumping jacks. Then I always follow with a brief three-minute stretch. It is amazing how eight minutes of activity can make you feel so refreshed! Check out, http://getfitwithkatie.com/dev/?page_id=706, for more suggestions!

HCUSC: On your website you feature multiple healthy meals suggestions. What is your favorite post workout snack?

KA: My post workout go to snack, is definitely a smoothie. I love my smoothies, because they are easy and quick. Grab a blender and throw in a banana, blueberries, strawberries, muscle milk, protein powder, almond milk, and ice, and you have a nutritious and delicious snack!

HCUSC: Why is being healthy important to how girls’ perceive self body image?

KA: Your understanding of your personal body image reflects on everything you do. If you lack confidence, if will be reflected in how you act not only toward yourself, but in your relationships and career. Fitness is a great way to boost your confidence! It is all about self-love!

HCUSC: Where do you see yourself in the future?

KA: My ultimate goal is to have a fitness show like my mom. But, because technology and social media is so different today, I am actually currently working on an application. This application will embody my motivation and personality. Girls will be able to go on their phones and easily access multiple follow along workout videos. I enjoy talking in front of people, so I would have a great time being a host of a lifestyle talk show. I genuinely love teaching and stimulating girls toward a healthy life style, and will do whatever it takes to fulfill this passion!

Erika is a junior at the University of Southern California. She is majoring in Human Biology, with an emphasis in the Science of Human Performance. She hopes to minor in journalism or communications. When she is not studying, you can catch Erika dancing down the streets of Los Angeles, or writing in her quirky blog. Unlike the average individual, she aspires to leave the California sunshine, and venture to the hustle and bustle of New York City. While there, her dream is to interview and write for a dance magazine, while pursuing her passion as a dancer.
Hey there! My name is Katherine Lee, but I go by Moi- a childhood nickname that has stuck throughout my entire life.  I am originally from the Bay Area and now I'm student at the Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism at USC.  The one thing I love more than hitting the gym is hitting every good restaurant wherever I am.  A foodie and a gym rat makes me quite a contradictory person, but I hey- I just like to keep things interesting!