rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hurricane María’s Impact on Mental Health: It Matters More Than Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

Mental health has become a topic of concern since Hurricane María ravaged through Puerto Rico on September 20th, leaving nothing but destruction and desolation in its path.  In a matter of hours, this catastrophic event changed the world we were accustomed to and altered each and every one of our emotions.

Primera Hora reported that suicide rates have increased up to 17% on the island, compared to the same date in 2016.  Even though the governor only attributed three of those cases to the hurricane at the time, reports of the official amount of cases reported vary, as new cases continue being reported every day.

Julio Santana, chancellor of the Carlos Albizu University, told El Nuevo Día, “This scenario is fertile land for desperation, anxiety, impotence, and uncertainty that causes many people to become depressed or anxious,” and even compared the situation to a study of the effects Hurricane Katrina had on the people of Louisiana in 2005.

Thousands of people lost everything they had while others lost loved ones. Not being able to contact family members and close friends for the following days after the hurricane only worsened anxiety and desperation. Everywhere you looked, you saw or heard people sobbing, desperately trying to get in touch with their family members and find out what had happened to their properties. Witnessing the amount of destruction this hurricane left in Puerto Rico devastates even the strongest person.

As someone who has been dealing with depression and anxiety from an early age, this hurricane has altered every aspect of my life in ways I could’ve never imagined. No amount of years of experience dealing with this monster inside of me called anxiety could’ve prepared me to handle what was coming, as my anxiety attacks have become more regular and have worsened. There were days when I felt like I couldn’t even live inside my skin and waking up every morning seemed pointless. Given the fact that I didn’t have my usual tools at my disposal, I had to resort to new activities to overcome my anxiety, and, as it turns out, I’m actually pretty good handling a “machete.” Not only was it a way for me to get my mind off things and channel my anxiety into action, but it also made me feel useful by helping my community.

It’s very important to seek help when you feel like you need it. Don’t wait or think that you can beat this alone. Something as easy as engaging in activities in your community and surrounding yourself with positive people can help you mitigate your anxiety. Don’t bottle up your emotions thinking you might bother people because in the long run, it’s only going to hurt you. This isn’t the time to stay silent, this is the time to speak up. There’s nothing to be ashamed of in admitting you need help. Keep in mind how this catastrophe has affected all of us and we’re all experiencing similar feelings and by speaking out, it’s possible you might be helping someone as well.

As a full-time college student, if you feel like taking a semester off, DO IT! It’s time to focus on your physical and mental well-being and college can add a lot of stress to your current situation. We’ll never rise stronger if we don’t take care of ourselves first.

Remember, if you or someone you know is going through a hard time handling their emotions, feel free to contact la línea PAS de ASSMCA at 1-800-981-0023 or  Red Nacional de Prevención del Suicidio de Estados Unidos at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). It’s confidential, available 24/7, and they’re there for a reason.

English Major at the University of Puerto Rico, Mayagüez Campus. With a minor in Comunications and a minor in Marketing. Interested in all things entertainment and pop culture. Passionate writer and aspiring journalist. Former Campus Correspondent at HC UPRM.