This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPRM chapter.

A few months ago, açaí bowls were a gem known only in Brazil. Açai pulp, a superfood, is blended with a few other ingredients into a super healthy and yummy smoothie that is then topped with more fruit, granola, even coconut and honey! Lately the story has changed a bit and açai bowls have been all the rage around the world. You and I both know, however, that they are addicting and expensive: a dangerous combination. Luckily, with a few extra minutes you can make your own version for way less! Plus you can customize it and make it even yummier than store bought versions. Yay for D.I.Y! You must try this before winter break is over. 

You will need a blender, around 7 oz of açai pulp, a banana, and a splash of a liquid of your choice to help everything blend (I used apple juice, but almond milk is also popular). 

You will also need an extra banana, fruit of your choice and granola to top the smoothie (I topped my bowls with blueberries, sliced strawberries, and a sliced banana- but you can get creative and use whatever you want).

Add the acai pulp, banana, and splash of apple juice into the blender (adjust the amount of liquid you add depending on the consistency you want your acai smoothie to have) and blend away (no rocket science degree required)!

Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add your toppings! Make it pretty, you know you’re going to want to instagram this baby. #foodporn

Bon appétit. 

Deborah is a junior at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. She was born in Puerto Rico and raised on the other side of the world. Deborah is a self proclaimed beauty blogger and loves watching recipe videos and Full House reruns for hours at a time. You can probably find her making bento boxes or trying to be mysterious.