This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Alright, let me be honest with you. What makes you think I am the best version of myself? I am extremely thankful that you are trusting my words to help you, but I also want to place all of my honesty onto what I’m writing.

It’s simply not realistic for me to provide you with five or ten tips, hacks, or actions you can take to finally feel like you’ve reached full form. I’m also not gonna share with you the same facts we’ve all heard about waking up early, working out and drinking green juice. I don’t even do that. What if I told you that the only person that can craft the best version of yourself is actually you? It is your life after allーwhat say do I have on it?

Don’t roll your eyes at me. I have no clue what you’re going through. None. I don’t know what or who made you feel like you weren’t enough or worthy. I have no clue as to what you’re feeling right now. Bear with me.

You’ve probably lost a job or got rejected from a college program you really wanted. You probably had to say goodbye to a huge promotion. You didn’t get the apartment you saw yourself in or you’re going through the worst heartbreak you’ve ever experienced. You probably saw your whole life with that one personーI know I did. So, the last thing you feel like doing is letting someone behind a screen tell you that you need to put in the work to feel like yourself again.

I can tell you the first step though, at least my version of the first step: The Healing Chapter.

“How To Start Healing:

First admit that you are unhappy

Then admit why

Then understand you need to let go

Allow yourself a moment

Breathe in the moment deeply

Then the healing will begin”

Nikita Gill

You cannot be the best version of yourself if you’re still holding on to the rejection the past has given you. Because that’s just it, it’s in the past, and once you know that, you can start over. It sounds scary, I know. You’re probably wondering how can you possibly start over when the vision you had in your head crumbled to pieces, what can you come up with now?

Wipe the slate clean. That’s the beautiful thing about starting over: the endless possibilities. You can be scared. Of course you can, but you can’t let that fear stop you from starting over to become a version of yourself that is entirely made up of you. With a clean slate, you can filter in what exactly you want in your life. A clean slate may feel overwhelming, but you need both the space and the mental clarity to move from where you are to where you want to be. 

Release the pressure. Remind yourself: you are perfect in your own imperfect way. The best version of yourself shouldn’t be scared of making mistakes. Intead, she learns from them and laughs at herself, embracing and loving every moment that took her to this point. The best version of yourself can be a bit of a mess. Whoever said they always had their life together?
She may fall apart. She may crumble. She may not have the strength to get up at some point, yet she takes a breath and she continues. Part of the healing process has to be ugly and sadー it’s all part of it, it’s all a part of you. Yes, you may fall down, but you have to remind yourself that there is always gonna be a way out, a way up. The best version of you holds her head high, does not let her crown fall, and continues walking through HER path.

Finally, above all else, she chooses herself. She is unapologetically herself, making her the number one priority in her life. She chooses herself over and over again. She makes herself a priority because a long time ago she lost herself by focusing all her energy on pleasing someone else.

You have to search within yourself who you are, what you need, and what you want. Knowing yourself is the key to being the best version of yourself, because you are the one that defines what that means to you. You can find the answers within you, so go ahead and lose the fear of going deep into your mind, your heart, your soul. Getting to know yourself on this level will help you choose what it is you want to bring into your life instead settling for less than what you truly deserve.

Dear you, with these words I want you to know that you are going to be okay. Where you are right now, it’s where you are supposed to be, that you can take a deep breath, and you can be scared because some days I am too. You aren’t alone in this crazy concept we call life. 

You have time. Trust me, you do. You are enough. You are enough. You are ENOUGH. You are worthy, so worthy. You are WORTH SO MUCH MORE. You deserve everything good life has to offer, allow it.

“You deserve so much more than what you’re allowing yourself to have”

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

I promise, you got this. You can start now, you can start tomorrow. Simply start, even before you’re ready.

Lots of love,

LYA 🤎 

Lilliana Correa Garcia is a wellness and experience writer at the Her Campus Rio Piedras Chapter. She focuses on topics such as mental health, self love and having the best college experience even if it may be an unusual one. She also adds a bit of her hobbies such as books and creative endeavors to her storytelling. Beyond Her Campus, Lilliana works as a Jr. Executive at Rosado Toledo& where she helps maintain a clear communication between brands and the agency and makes sure the clients’ needs are being met on a daily basis. She has worked as a freelance social media manager for small businesses such as restaurants and hair salons. She interned in the advertising agency previously mentioned which opened the doors for her to join the team part time. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in Public Relations and Advertising. In her free time, Lilliana enjoys indulging herself in fantasy novels and woking on a draft of her current novel. She also loves visiting coffee shops around her area to spend time catching up with her friends. She’s a whole hearted Swiftie and is committed to learn every single song by heart.