This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UPR chapter.

Sometimes stretching can be overlooked because it’s seen as being the boring part of working out. It’s so necessary, but so unappreciated. Since P.E we’ve been told that stretching is a great way to warm up the body before getting into an intense workout. After all, warm muscles help reduce the risk of injury from doing too much or too soon. No one wants to be victim of a suffered injury do to pulled or strained muscles because they forgot to stretch first. Yet, stretching is more than just a protocol for exercising more efficiently. In fact, it’s highly recommended to stretch every single day! Whether that moment is when you wake up or any other time of the day on a regular basis. Stretching provides significant benefits for you!

Ease Back Pain

It’s very common to wake up in the morning with a sore back. This could be due to the mattress or pillow. Both objects might be old and in need of replacement or it might not be the one suitable for your specific body. Or the soreness might be the result of sleeping the wrong way that particular night. It may also be the result of the tense muscles due to posture, stress and overworking yourself. In any case, stretching, especially in the morning, is a great help in alleviating back pain gained throughout the night.

Good Blood Circulation

You should stretch before starting your day and before working out because it warms your body and it helps with blood flow. Stretching greatly decreases the risk of injuring yourself since you’re warming up your body. Stretching regularly helps improve blood circulation on a more prolonged basis, which, besides helping reduce injuries, also helps by regulating body temperature. Other benefits surround a more sharpen concentration throughout the day and the release of dopamine which helps individuals feel good and energized, all thanks to this pumped-up blood.

Though coffee might be the obvious solution when you’re feeling tired and sleepy, you might want to put that cup aside for a moment. While caffeine boost could be nice, for a more natural boost in energy, all you need is to stretch your body. The increased blood circulation is exactly what provides the body with more energy since it helps the body work more efficiently and lessen both physical and mental strain.

Improved Posture

If you struggle with maintaining good posture, there might be a reason why you feel unable to do so. It could be because your muscles are tense. That rigidness is a significant contributing factor to poor posture, which can lead to back pain and other body aches. Regularly stretching the chest, back, and shoulders can help relax and lengthen tense muscles. Hence, improving the alignment of the spine and taking away the desire to slouch all the time. In other words, stretching helps to lessen the stress on your muscles when you try to sit or stand straight.

Increased flexibility

Though it may not be a personal goal of yours to be flexible, it’s very healthy and awesome for your body. Many people struggle to touch their toes because they are not flexible enough. Regular stretching increases an individual’s basic range of motion. Perhaps it might have happened that at the beginning of a workout, you couldn’t bend as much as when you’re in the midst or at the end of the workout. If not, try it! Try to touch your toes at the beginning and then at the end of your session, you would be surprised on how magically you managed to get lower towards your feet. This happens because your muscles loosen and blood circulation improves as the workout progresses, meaning your flexibility is temporarily increased. Stretching every day, such as ten minutes daily, can help increase the level of your flexibility.

Stress Relief

You might have noticed that when you feel stressed out, you also feel tense. That’s why a friendly massage could very well come in handy. Muscles do tighten when an individual is experiencing stress. In response, it’s only logical to try to loosen those muscles up. If you suddenly feel stressed, only by stretching for a moment, you can feel some relief. It will be enough to calm you down, while you reflect and think rationally to remove yourself from the situation.

Now that you know some stretching benefits, you would want to know what stretches you should be doing daily. You could follow along with these YouTubers that vary in different types of flexibility routines for beginners, intermediate and advanced. Though these videos focus more on how to get flexible, remember that stretching automatically helps improve the range of motion in your body and gives you all the benefits listed above. Check out Tom Merrick’s 15 Minute Beginner Flexibility Routine! And his 20 Minute Full Body Flexibility Routine! Also, Cassey Ho has a great video on the Ultimate Daily Stretching Routine for Flexibility and Relaxation. In addition, as a dancer, I love to keep up with Anna McNulty’s Follow Along Routines like her Daily Stretching Routing on YouTube. There are many references out there that you could follow to start stretching any day.

If stretching was a boring waste of time, think again! Yes, stretching is a bit painful at first, but your body will slowly adjust to the pain and eventually, you won’t even notice it. Don’t miss out on these benefits! This relatively gentle form of exercise can help your wellbeing, make you fit and is great for your body and mental health.

Claudia S. Colon Rosa is the Chapter Leader at the Her Campus at UPR chapter. In addition to overseeing all chapter affairs, she manages the magazine’s editorial and contributes to it as a fellow writer, mainly crafting articles under wellness, life, and entertainment. Beyond Her Campus, Claudia has worked as assistant editor for the English department’s academic journal, Sargasso, where she managed the journal’s printing press and distribution. She has also written for Rebeldia magazine and was part of the Her Campus National Writer program where she published an array of articles. She is currently a senior at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus, majoring in English Literature and pre-medical studies. When she’s not writing an essay or overwhelmed with chemistry formulas, Claudia loves to watch anime and exercise to dance parties on YouTube. She gets the best of both worlds and she wouldn’t want to have it any other way.