Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Smoked, Fried, and Toasted: Dealing With Semester Burnout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNT chapter.

I’m burned out. We are over halfway into the semester and I am tired and rapidly losing energy for assignments. So, what are some ways to avoid getting burned out?

First, What Is Burnout?

Burnout is a state of physical, emotional, and mental exhaustion that is brought on by excessive and prolonged stress. College and a global pandemic? Pretty much the perfect recipe for burning out. 

Some signs of burning out are feeling tired and drained most of the time, a change in sleep habits, lack of motivation, procrastination, and using food or alcohol to cope. 

What Can You Do?

Reach out to those around you. Don’t be scared to reach out to your professors. It can be daunting to talk to them, but most professors care about your education and want to help you succeed. Talk to your friends or family. Especially if you have been isolating yourself, it may be nice to spend time with loved ones. 

Take a break. This one might be a little less realistic in the middle of the semester, but try to schedule your assignments out and see when you can set an amount of time aside to relax. Again, if the work is piling up too much, reach out to your professors and see about getting an extension. Professors can be more understanding than you think. 

Put down that screen. Hear me out on this one. I definitely enjoy sitting on my phone and watching Tik Toks or Netflix. But, the lights from our screens can actually cause more stress on our bodies. This can make us angry, impulsive, and can increase our stress levels. Set your phone down for a few hours — give your mind and eyes a moment to relax. 

Get Creative. You don’t have to become the next Picasso. Just take some time to do something creative. Get some cheap watercolors and paint a rainbow. Do that DIY craft you’ve had pinned on Pinterest for two years. Find something to do that’s light and easy. Even if you’re not a master craftsman, you can still be proud at the end because you made something.   

Mental health matters. This has been said time and time again, but it stands true. We are in the middle of a global pandemic. Take it easy on yourself. Don’t beat yourself up. Take time to relax and heal. 

Hi! I'm Hannah - a Journalism major with a minor in Criminal Justice.