This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Before heading off to college for the first time last year, I found myself surrounded by family and friends all telling me that these next four years were going to be the best of my life so far. Having been told this for as long as I can remember I found myself meticulously planning every aspect of my soon to be new life.

Before leaving I spent hours coordinating my room, shopping for new clothes, and researching all the fun things to do at UNH. I can honestly say I was truly determined to make these next four years the “perfect college experience”. 

However, one thing that no one seemed to mention or prepare me for before leaving was the new types of stress I might experience. I mean to be fair nobody really wants to highlight the late-night study sessions, homesickness, roommate conflicts, or the multiple crises you might go through when trying to pick a major. While it may not seem obvious at first (because everyone is trying to put one a good face) everyone struggles with one or more of these at one point or another. 

For me, after my first day of classes had come to an end, I had the painstaking realization that I not only hated two of my classes but I wasn’t sure if I even liked my major. Instantly my head started to spin and I found myself panicking. All I could think about was my inability to do well in my classes and the anxiety that I was going to let not only my family but myself down. However, after several crazy days of talking with advisors, I had successfully switched out of not one but two classes, and a few months later I had fallen in love with the new major I have now.

At the time these minor stressors seemed like the end of the world to me. And yes, while not all the problems you might encounter can be easily resolved here are a few things I’ve learned along the way about how to manage the stress of college.

First things first, TALK TO PEOPLE…like seriously. I know that opening up to people, especially new people can be hard but it really will make you feel better. UNH has some great resources in place if you don’t feel like talking to family or friends. RAs are a great resource to take advantage of and UNH even offers several free counseling sessions if you’re ever really having a hard time adjusting college.

Second, take some alone time for yourself! I know that it’s tempting to be constantly running around and doing things with all of your new friends. Yes, I understand that you might feel like you’ll miss out if you’re not constantly present, but not having any downtime for yourself can really take its toll. 

Lastly, try to exercise! Exercising is a really great way to elevate stress, and is something that I personally found to be extremely useful in high school. When you exercise and exert energy your body releases your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins. Additionally, if an intense workout isn’t right for you the rec center offers some yoga classes that can be really relaxing.

As a final word to all of you lovely ladies who are stressed out by exams, roommates, or just a general overarching feeling of anxiety/stress. It’s important to know that things WILL get better!!! I promise. Sometimes you’ll have been days where it feels like nothing is going your way, but other days you WILL make memories that will last for the rest of your life. So, sit back (try and relax) and enjoy the wild ride that is college.

I am a Psychology major at UNH
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!