This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

91% of women surveyed on a college campus have attempted to control their weight through dieting. This is not health conscious behavior – this is an epidemic. It is far too many times around this campus one may hear a girl mention how they “hate themselves for eating Cheesy Bread in HoCo last night” or a guy obsessing over how much he lifted the other day at the gym. This not meant to sterotype genders and put them in a box – it’s just what the norm is in this society, and that is half the problem. Wanting to be healthy and live a lifestyle you are proud of is one thing. Obsessing over body fat (which is normal and necessary) or muscle is another. National Eating Disorder Awareness Week is this week – I am afraid, we however, need much more than a week.

As a society, things such as Eating Disorders are broken down into a statistic. Research is all good and well, and the good intentions are there. However, categorizing those who suffer into a number or a ratio is not effective. Often times those who are most affected by those numbers are those who do not suffer themselves. They hear these statstics and they think “wow, I cannot believe it” while someone suffering thinks “Am I just a number?” What we need is real life stories, real life role models, and people who really want to help, connecting with the boys and girls battling this awful disease. That is what it is – it is a disease. It is not a choice. It is not something someone wants. It is something someone grows comfortable with. There is a difference.

The theme of this years National Eating Disorder Awarness is “I Had No Idea” which could not be any more perfect. There are so many suffering out there, with demons in their closets that need to come out. It is so many times, that when one admits and opens up to something they are struggling with, the response is “I had no idea.” People view what people act like in public and assume that, that is how their everyday life is. What people do not realize is that is often times the voice inside ones head that kills them and brings them down day by day. It is their own thoughts, their own brain that bring them to breaking points. 

Mental Health has been quite the talk as of recently – but talking is not enough. There needs to be more of an effort from all of us to make those suffering feel as though they live in a world judgment free and that more importantly – wants to help them. Out of any other mental disorder – eating disorders have the highest mortality rate. Girls and boys everywhere are dying – what are we doing? Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders suffer from anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorders in the United States alone. That is 24 million too many. We cannot catogerize 24 million people suffering into one week of a year. This is an ongoing discussion that needs to be happening and awarness that needs to be built up in the world. Speaking for those who are too afraid to speak for themselves, and giving them an open forum to come open with what is happening is so important. Eating Disorder patients and survivors are not a number – they are not a group you can put into one week – they are people, just like anyone else, and they need support.

If you or anyone else you know is suffering from an Eating Disorder or Eating Concerns at UNH please contact UNH Health Services or UNH Counseling Center. Or go to National Eating Disorder Assocation website and get a free screening, as well as information. You and your loved ones are not alone. 

Amanda received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the University of New Hampshire in May of 2016. During her time at the University of New Hampshire, Amanda was a member of UNH's Her Campus team serving as a Contributing Writer, Co-Social Media Manager and Co-Campus Corespondent. In addition, she was also a Chapter Advisor for five HC Chapters. It was through her internships with WGBH&PBS, SheSpeaks, Inc. and the UNH Social Media Department that Amanda realized she wanted to pursue a career in Digital Marketing and Social Media with a focus in the publishing and media industry. In her free time, Amanda likes anything involving food, hanging out by any body of water, and spending time with her amazing friends and family. Follow her on Instagram @barba_amanda
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!