Wellness > Health

My Favorite Delicious and Healthy Sweet Treats 

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Satisfying your sweet tooth doesn’t always have to mean sacrificing your wellness goals. With a bit of creativity and some wholesome ingredients, you can whip up delectable treats that not only taste great but also nourish your body. Here are some of my favorite healthy sweet treats that are sure to satisfy any craving using ingredients that you might already have at home!

Vegan Oatmeal Banana Bread

Who doesn’t love a slice of warm, moist banana bread? This vegan version is not only delicious but also free from dairy and eggs. It’s packed with fiber-rich oats and the natural sweetness of ripe bananas. This is definitely my roommates’ favorite!

Recipe:

– 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)

– 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil

– 1/2 cup maple syrup or honey

– 1/4 cup almond milk or any plant-based milk

– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

– 1 teaspoon baking soda

– 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

– 1/4 teaspoon salt

– 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour or gluten-free flour

– 1/2 cup rolled oats

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.

2. In a large bowl, mash the ripe bananas. Stir in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and vanilla extract.

3. Add the baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir until well combined.

4. Gradually add the flour and oats to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spatula.

6. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

7. Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.

“Snickers” Dates with Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate

Craving something sweet and satisfying? These “Snickers” dates are the perfect guilt-free treat. They’re stuffed with creamy peanut butter, dipped in rich dark chocolate, and topped with crunchy peanuts. This is my new obsession!

Recipe:

– 12 Medjool dates, pitted

– Creamy peanut butter

– 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

– 1 tablespoon coconut oil

– Crushed peanuts (optional)

Instructions:

1. Slice each date lengthwise and remove the pits.

2. Fill each date with a generous amount of creamy peanut butter.

3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the dark chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.

4. Dip each stuffed date into the melted chocolate, coating it completely. Place the dipped dates on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

5. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top of the chocolate-coated dates, if desired.

6. Refrigerate the dates for about 20-30 minutes, or until the chocolate is set.

7. Enjoy these indulgent treats straight from the fridge!

Greek Yogurt Bites

Looking for a healthy and refreshing snack? These Greek yogurt bites are perfect for satisfying your sweet cravings while providing a dose of protein and probiotics. These are a good snack for any time of the day!

Recipe:

– Greek yogurt (any flavor of your choice)

– Fresh fruit (such as berries, sliced bananas, or diced mango)

– Honey or maple syrup (optional)

– Mini muffin tin

– Mini muffin liners (optional)

Instructions:

1. If using mini muffin liners, place them in the mini muffin tin.

2. Spoon Greek yogurt into each muffin cup, filling them about halfway.

3. Add your choice of fresh fruit on top of the yogurt.

4. If desired, drizzle a small amount of honey or maple syrup over the fruit for added sweetness.

5. Place the mini muffin tin in the freezer and freeze for about 2-3 hours, or until the yogurt bites are firm.

6. Once frozen, remove the yogurt bites from the muffin tin and transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag.

7. Store the yogurt bites in the freezer until ready to enjoy.

8. Serve these refreshing treats straight from the freezer for a cool and creamy snack.

Sweet Potato Brownies with Greek Yogurt

Dive into decadence with these rich and fudgy sweet potato brownies. Made with nutrient-packed sweet potatoes and topped with creamy Greek yogurt, they’re a guilt-free indulgence you’ll crave.

Recipe:

– 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes

– 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey

– 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil

– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

– 1/2 cup cocoa powder

– 1/2 cup almond flour or any flour of choice

– 1/4 teaspoon salt

– 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

– Greek yogurt for topping

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish.

2. In a large bowl, mix together mashed sweet potatoes, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract.

3. Add cocoa powder, almond flour, salt, and chopped nuts (if using). Stir until well combined.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread it evenly.

5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

6. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.

7. Top each brownie with a dollop of Greek yogurt before serving.

Apple Crisp

Warm and comforting, apple crisp is a timeless dessert that’s perfect for cozy evenings. This healthier version swaps out refined sugars for natural sweeteners and adds a crunchy oat topping for extra texture.

Recipe:

– 4-5 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced

– 1 tablespoon lemon juice

– 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey

– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

– 1/2 cup rolled oats

– 1/4 cup almond flour or any flour of choice

– 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or olive oil

– 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions:

2. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice, maple syrup, and cinnamon.

3. Spread the apple mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish.

4. In the same bowl, combine rolled oats, almond flour, melted coconut oil, and chopped nuts (if using). Mix until crumbly.

5. Sprinkle the oat mixture over the apples in the baking dish.

6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender.

7. Serve warm, optionally with a scoop of Greek yogurt or a drizzle of honey.

Candied Grapes

These delightful treats are a fun and unexpected way to satisfy your sweet cravings. With just two ingredients, they’re incredibly easy to make and bursting with natural sweetness.

Recipe:

– Red or green grapes

– Honey or maple syrup

Instructions:

1. Wash and dry the grapes, leaving them slightly damp.

2. Dip each grape into honey or maple syrup, coating it evenly.

3. Place the coated grapes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure they’re not touching.

4. Freeze the grapes for about 1-2 hours, or until they’re firm.

5. Enjoy these naturally sweet and refreshing treats straight from the freezer.

Airfryer Peach Cobbler

Experience the flavors of summer with this lightened-up version of peach cobbler. Using the air fryer gives it a crispy topping without the need for excessive oil, making it a guilt-free indulgence.

Recipe:

– 4 cups sliced fresh peaches

– 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey

– 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

– 1 cup rolled oats

– 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Instructions:

1. In a bowl, toss sliced peaches with maple syrup and cinnamon.

2. In a separate bowl, combine rolled oats, almond flour, melted coconut oil, and chopped nuts (if using). Mix until crumbly.

3. Place the peach mixture in the bottom of the air fryer basket.

4. Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the peaches.

5. Air fry at 350°F (175°C) for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the peaches are bubbling.

6. Serve warm, optionally with a scoop of Greek yogurt or a drizzle of honey.

These delightful sweet treats prove that you can indulge your cravings without compromising your health goals. From creamy sweet potato brownies to crispy air fryer peach cobbler, there’s a wholesome option to satisfy every palate. Give these recipes a try and discover the joy of guilt-free indulgence!

UNH nursing student, beach bum, book worm, and health & wellness lover from Cape Cod, MA!