This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Ever since high school, I had never been one to go to the gym consistently. Maybe I’d have a hot streak of a week or a week and a half, and then I’d completely drop it for a month. I had no motivation, discipline or drive to go. In general, I’m the type of person who goes through phases when it comes to hobbies or activities – I usually get a bit bored after a certain amount of time. I’m proud to say that if past me could see future me, she’d be happy with my motivation surrounding being active.

What’s Gym Intimidation?

The feeling you get of walking into a gym as someone who’s inexperienced in that area, the anxiety and wanting to shrink into your sneakers, is gym intimidation. Being nervous to step foot in a gym because of the intimidation by extremely strong people with impressive physics, the scary weight plates, and all of the machines that seem impossible to figure out, is gym intimidation. Everyone has experienced it before, and I’m sure you know what I’m talking about. It’s a wall to achieving your goals and trying something new – but luckily, you can walk right through it.

Here’s How to Get Past It.

Find a goal or a reason that will keep you going. Figure out why you want to go to the gym – is it to get stronger? Have better stamina? Feel better in your own skin? Remind yourself of that reason when you’re not feeling the most motivated! You can be your own worst enemy, sure, but you’re also your own most valuable motivator.

Don’t let it sway you from getting up and making your way out the door. Honestly, the hardest part about the gym is getting there. Once you get through the gym doors, you’re one step ahead. Take some time in the locker room if you need to and hype yourself up, recognize that you can do it. Everyone else is doing the same exact thing. They’re focusing on themselves, not what you’re doing. 

Eat, wear and listen to what makes you feel good. Find a way to feel confident in your body when you’re working out. Eating a good workout snack beforehand and a satisfying meal afterwards will help you feel the best you can. Confidence is a big factor when starting out at the gym, and onwards, so wear and listen to something that will give you that boost. 

If you’re able to, buy things for the gym so that you’ll have a reason to go – so you can use them. This might not be the healthiest/best advice, but it worked for me! Part of feeling confident for me is wearing clothes that I feel good in. Workout sets from Marshalls or Amazon are usually affordable and cute! Resistance bands (also can be found at either store) are pretty useful for stretching or as add-ins to an exercise. Barbell pads are super helpful if you plan on doing hip thrusts, although some gyms provide them for you (something to keep in mind), or you could roll up a yoga mat and use that. This is simply if, like me, you need an extra reason to workout – you don’t need ANY of this to go to the gym. Don’t let it hinder you if you don’t have all of the bells and whistles.  

Finally,

Acknowledge that it’s okay to take a rest day, or more than just one. Listening to your body is most important. Your body needs the rest so that it can be as strong as you want it to be. Don’t hold yourself back!

Studying Hospitality Management with a double minor in Writing and Design Studies.