This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

Chances are you know someone who suffers from anxiety. Maybe it’s your best friend, maybe it’s a family member, or maybe it’s you. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA), anxiety disorders affect about 40 million adults in the U.S., making them the most common mental illness in America.

I am one of those 40 million. My journey has not been easy, and anxiety is definitely something I face on a daily basis. That being said, I’ve learned a few things about how to manage my anxiety that will hopefully encourage those who also deal with it and inform those who don’t.

Don’t Ignore Your Emotions

I know it might seem counterintuitive to let yourself feel stressed or anxious, but it actually helps. If you have anxiety, most of the time you cannot control whether you’re feeling anxious. I’ve personally spent a lot of time getting down about feeling down and trying to run away from my stress. However, I’ve found that slowing down and actually thinking about the reasons behind my stress goes a long way in taking some of the uncertainty out of anxiety.

Don’t Compare Yourself to Others

I know—easier said than done, right? The truth is, everyone struggles with comparison, anxiety or no anxiety, because it’s just human nature. I’ve discovered that a huge source of my anxiety stems from comparing myself to people I believe are better than me. But when those all-too-familiar thoughts of “I’m not as good as her” or “I’m not as talented as him” creep into my mind, it helps to recognize that those statements are irrational. Stop believing you aren’t good enough or worthy enough because you are!

Mental Breaks Can Turn into Procrastination

Do you ever take a quick break from working on something only to find that five minutes has turned into five hours? Speaking as the current (self-appointed) Queen of Procrastination, this scenario is all too real for me. Yes, it is important to find time to take care of yourself and relax in periods of stress. However, if you let those mental breaks stop you from doing what you need to get done, that can be a big source of anxiety. Anxiety, at least for me, leads to procrastination, which leads to more anxiety, which leads to more procrastination.

Find an Outlet That Lets You Work Through Your Anxiety in a Healthy Way

I cannot stress this enough: having a go-to activity or creative outlet when you’re dealing with anxiety is so important. You don’t have to be a meditation guru to enjoy a little peace and calm. Maybe you feel less anxious when you’re listening to your favorite band, or maybe you’re like me, and painting takes you to your happy place. Exercise is also a great way to de-stress and take care of your body at the same time! Regardless of what helps you feel less stressed and more Zen, finding a healthy way to keep those anxious thoughts at bay, at least for a little while, is key.

Elena is a friendly senior at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. She is currently majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. When she's not in class or napping, you can catch Elena working out at the gym, binge-watching medical dramas, or indulging her caffeine addiction at a local coffee shop.