This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNCW chapter.

As the first month of our spring semester comes to a close, let’s talk about a few ways to combat all the stress of Zoom classes and homework.

Breathe 

Taking time to sit down and listen to your breathing does so much for your mental and physical health. Sit or lie down in a comfortable position and focus on breathing in for a few seconds, then breathe out for a few seconds. You can also use this time to meditate or take it a step further and practice yoga!

Watch your favorite TV Show or movie / Read a book

Need a little escapism? Turn on the TV and watch something that always makes you feel good. Treat yourself to a little relaxation time without having to think about anything. For me, that means I’m either watching “Tangled” or “New Girl” for the thousandth time. If TV isn’t what you need right now, escape into a book! Take the time to get lost in another world.

Exercise

I know, I know. Nobody actually wants to exercise when they’re feeling stressed, right? I’ve been the biggest procrastinator when it comes to exercise but let me tell you… this WORKS! Make a workout playlist and head to the gym. Focus on the music and feel how your energy level rises with each song! Half an hour will go by before you even know it and you’ll feel amazing.

Call a friend

If you’re missing people a little extra right now, set up a FaceTime call to catch up! Ask them how they are and what they’ve been up to lately. They’ll absolutely appreciate it and it’ll make you feel good as well! Maybe make a weekly plan for a FaceTime date! If you’re feeling like you need some help, ask for it. Your friends are here for you.

Treat yourself!

Let’s hear it for retail therapy! Is there something you’ve had your eye on for a while? Has it been a while since you’ve had your favorite food? When was the last time you did something purely because it felt good? Even if it was yesterday, do it again! Take a nice bath, paint your nails, order sushi! Do what you need to do to feel good today.

These are only a handful of ideas, but the possibilities are endless! Happy relaxing!

Maddy Tamms is a member of the UNCW class of 2022. She enjoys movies, art, and traveling! When she isn't writing, Maddy is probably rewatching New Girl, Tangled, or Bridgerton.