Wellness

Trick or Treat Yourself: Self-Care Tips for Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As we dive further into the semester, it may seem like you’re falling behind or struggling to keep up with everyone and everything. We all have busy schedules, whether they’re filled with class, studying, attending club meetings or work. This might make you feel like you have little to no time for yourself. There are quick and easy ways to incorporate self-care into your everyday life. With midterms behind us now, it’s time for a little spooky season “you time” to ensure that you’re able to keep your spirits high and finish the semester strong.

Declutter your living space.

We’ve all heard about spring cleaning, but do any of us take the time to do any fall cleaning? As the cooler weather comes around, we tend to spend more of our time indoors. Our surroundings can play a huge role in our day-to-day moods. You want your environment to promote a relaxing and comforting attitude. No one wants to come home to a mess. Make it a habit to pick up at least 10 items a day and before you know it, your living space will begin to look spotless and you’ll be rewarded with a more welcoming home.

Warm your life up with a hot beverage.

Your warm beverage can be a drink that you grew up drinking to awaken some childhood nostalgia, or a drink from that new coffee shop you’ve been wanting to try. Having a warm drink in your hands never fails to brighten your mood. In order to really practice self-care, don’t just chug your warm beverage on the way to your 8:00 a.m. that you’re already running late for. Instead, take the time to savor the taste and feel your body warm up with it while you take a couple of deep breaths and focus on relaxation.

Plan Halloween activities with your friends.

Treat yourself to some fun with your besties. It’ll allow your creative and fun-loving side to really shine through while being surrounded by those that you’re closest with. The possibilities are endless for what sorts of activities you can do! Some of my personal favorites are going to a pumpkin patch, apple picking, watching Halloween movies, putting up fall decorations and going to haunted houses. Spending time with your friends is guaranteed to put you in a better mood and help you forget about the major stressors in your life.

Make a gratitude list.

Making gratitude lists is an easy way to remind yourself that, even though it may feel like everything is going wrong, there is still plenty to smile about. These can be made by either writing them on paper or by simply thinking of them in your head. Gratitude lists are quick and easy ways to shift your outlook and think more positively about yourself and the circumstances that may have you down. It’s easy to get fixated on the negatives and takes more work to count your blessings and notice the simple pleasures of life. However, by making this a frequent activity, it’ll become a habit and second-hand nature, thus subconsciously making you a more positive person. You can practice this activity either by making this list whenever you’re feeling down, or by making it a habit to spend around five minutes before bed or when you wake up in the mornings creating it. Some easy prompts you can think about to get you started are:

1. What’s something you have to look forward to?

2. What’s something you are grateful to have today that you did not have a year ago?

3. What’s an accomplishment you’re proud of?

4. How are you able to help others?

5. What skills or talents do you have that you are grateful for?

Set boundaries for yourself.

No one is perfect, but we all expect ourselves to be. Setting boundaries for yourself is a way to prioritize your own needs so that you don’t overcommit and spread yourself too thin or sign up for activities you don’t actually have an interest in. Autumn is just before the holidays hit, and for most people, it tends to be the busiest time of the year. There are more than enough obligations, expectations and invitations and it’s important to not overbook yourself. You are not required to waste your energy on events that will drain you instead of fill you with joy.

Cozy up.

Not only is chilly weather perfect for cuddling, but fall fashion is by far the comfiest. Oversized sweaters? Yes, please! Nothing beats laying on the couch on a lazy Sunday with a warm blanket and taking some time off to enjoy yourself and just unwind. It’s normal to feel guilty when you aren’t constantly on the go, especially when you feel overwhelmed, but we all deserve to take a breather and allow ourselves time to relax. Don’t worry, you’ve earned it.

Making sure to prioritize self-care takes time to truly master. It is an art that becomes harder and harder as we grow older and find ourselves facing more responsibilities. Putting ourselves first can mean many different things for different people. It’s key to find what works best for you and stick with it, especially on the days that you feel the worst. Just remember to keep at it and understand that you, and your mental health, are important.

Maya is a 5th Year Medical Student at UMKC. Even though she is working towards a very STEM orientated major, Maya enjoys using writing as a creative outlet. When Maya isn't studying, she enjoys writing (duh), soccer, music, and shopping.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.