Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

“Trauma lives in the body” is a popular phrase in the world of psychology that is all too real. Although it may be difficult to come to terms with, every person experiences and lives with their own trauma. Likewise, when living with trauma it can be extremely scary to face it on your own, or at all. Unfortunately, many individuals are unaware of the different resources they can use to cope with or conquer their trauma. I am here to let you know that dealing with yours doesn’t have to be so scary and difficult, because there are ways to face it on your own terms and in your own time.

One amazing way to begin to conquer your trauma is meditation. Meditation can look different for every individual, as it depends solely on what you see as relaxing and comforting. Meditating could be sitting in a quiet room while doing breathing exercises, taking a walk outside in your favorite park or reflecting by journaling at the end of the day. One great source for learning what meditation style best suits you is “10 Unexpected Ways to Meditate Every Day” by Greatist. This website gives countless meditation types and examples that will help you with coping strategies as you begin to face your trauma.

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Although meditation is a very helpful tool in dealing with trauma, it is not for everyone. Another way to face it is to develop a strict routine. With life moving so fast and constantly changing, it can be easy to get stressed and anxious about the things that we don’t make time for in our daily routines. A great way around this is to create a personal routine that fits your lifestyle and your needs. A very important part of any routine when dealing with trauma is to assign a small increment of each day to coping. It is crucial to start small and build as you feel ready when working on trauma. For you, this might mean giving just 10 minutes of your day to resonating and coping. An article published by The Spruce gives great tips and tricks on how to formulate a daily routine that is perfect for you! Remember to meet yourself where you are at and start slow. Once you get a handle on your routine, then you can modify and build from there.

The last and most important resource when trying to face your trauma is to talk about it. Exposure to past trauma is extremely difficult, which is why it’s always best to talk to a professional. Therapy is an incredible resource for anyone going through hard times, needing someone to confide in and especially dealing with trauma. It is so important to understand that you never need to go through it alone. Find someone you trust and tell them what happened. Therapy will give you someone who will support you every step of the way and help you to conquer your trauma once and for all. 

It is okay to admit that trauma lives in the body for most people, and it is our responsibility to get help, or help others, in conquering that. Togetherness is by far the best medicine, and you are not alone in your fight. 

Ciera Farrens is currently a Senior at the University of Missouri-Kansas City studying Psychology and minoring in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. She is a writer for the UMKC chapter of Her Campus, and she loves expressing herself through fashion, music, and of course, writing. Ciera spends most of her time seeking out new coffee spots and exploring the fountains of KC!
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.