This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

As we’re all well-aware of — right now is an unprecedented time of much stress, worry and grief. The novel coronavirus is affecting everyone in different capacities. Many have lost their jobs, leading them to wonder how they’re supposed to pay rent and buy groceries. Others have had major life events like graduation, weddings, internships and travels cancelled. Feelings of disappointment and frustration may arise because of such things, and those feelings are completely valid. Those who already struggle with mental illnesses may have symptoms exacerbated by issued lockdowns and stay-at-home orders. I’ll refrain from listing off more unfortunate events, you guys get the point. 

While I’m sure those promoting messages to “stay positive” and to “choose happiness” during these turbulent times are meaning well, they can be dismissing feelings that deserve space and attention. Given the aforementioned situations, and many others, it is more than understandable to feel upset and scared. Taking the time and energy to acknowledge those feelings and allowing yourself to feel them is vital to processing what’s going on right now. Moreover, prioritize time to take care of yourself. I don’t mean throw yourself into some project to stay busy or productive, I mean focus on activities and hobbies that let you feel joy and comfort. Sure, maintaining a schedule, working on schoolwork and starting new projects can all be helpful routines, but don’t feel pressured to shove yourself into these motions. 

This is a pandemic, not a competition to see who can come out of this with the most learned skills or completed tasks. Seeing others plastering their social media pages with their daily grind and hustle may leave you feeling shameful and lazy. Let me reiterate; you’re not. Show yourself (and others) grace and compassion. Trying to understand right now is a difficult time and holding yourself to unrealistic standards isn’t going to make situations better. Focus on staying afloat and focus on helping yourself so you can then help others. Applying these practices of patience, kindness and grace with others is just as important. Ultimately, we’re all trying our best, and that’s going to look different for everyone. Let’s work on self-preservation and self-care, so we can work on ways to help others affected by this.

Lily is currently in her fourth semester at UMKC's in their Masters in Counseling program. Whenever she can be with friends she is, when she's not she enjoys reading and doing yoga. Lily has a passion for human rights, mental health, pop-culture and writing.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.