This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Driving to get coffee, going on a walk, working out and implementing a skincare routine are all similar in one way: they’re simple. The act of getting coffee allows you to reduce stress by singing songs with the windows down. Taking walks gives you a chance to take in Vitamin D and breathe in fresh air. Working out is scientifically proven to boost your mood. And a skincare routine in the morning allows you time to think about your day ahead. Each activity can be added to your schedule at least once a week and three can be done by yourself or with friends. 

Here are four simple activities that also give me serotonin and may give you some too. 

Coffee drives

Many of my friends and family members know that I enjoy having coffee almost every day. Of course, there are days when I don’t have time to go anywhere and I have to make my cup of caffeine at home whether it be matcha, coffee or an energy drink. However, I would rather spend the time going out and grabbing a coffee because it’s about the act of spending time with myself. I came from a place that only has four coffee shops to a city with over 90, so discovering new coffee shops by myself became a little project. I’ve seen others on TikTok and Instagram talk about enjoying the act of getting coffee by themselves or with friends, and I agree with them. The simplicity of driving and listening to music at least once a week gives me the serotonin to keep going.

walks

Walks allow you to get your body moving, in the sun and breathing in fresh air. Finding time during the week to take a walk, drink water and listen to music is a great way to address the thoughts you’ve been having during the week. If you don’t want to address your thoughts and need a distraction, going on walks with friends or even talking to them on a phone call is a great way to find time to talk with the people closest to you.

working out

I’m not going to say that I am consistent in attending the gym every week but I know that it will always help my mental health whenever I decide to go. Whether you lift weights, only do cardio or workout at home, working out releases endorphins, the “feel-good” neurotransmitters. No matter if I am angry, anxious or sad, if I go to the gym I know I will always feel better after my workout is done. It may be difficult to get up, but any activity that gets your body moving will boost your mood and make your day a little bit better.

skincare routine

In the morning I try to wake up before my roommate to allow myself some “me time” when getting ready. The best part of my morning is my skincare routine. Even though it is a very small list of products, it brings me joy to know that I am putting time into myself. 

1. Aveeno Clear Complexion Foaming Face Wash
  2. Paula’s Choice 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
  3. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion
  4. Eco Tools Jade Roller
  5. Tula Skincare “go away” acne spot treatment

With each step I take my time to slow down and think about my day before it starts. When putting on my moisturizer, I massage it into my face and neck then use the jade roller to get rid of even more tension, especially on the back of my neck and under eyes.

Look for simple ways to increase your serotonin on a daily basis. Find things that take up a small amount of time so if you are ever in need of a boost you know you can squeeze them into your schedule. Keep pushing yourself, and always remember to take care of yourself.

Ciara is pursuing a Bachelor of Business Administration with an emphasis of Marketing and will be graduating from UMKC in May 2024. She enjoys studying at coffee shops, shopping at antique stores, going on road trips, decorating, and personal growth.