Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness

It’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, Let’s Talk About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UMKC chapter.

Restrictive food intake, preoccupation with food, calories, dieting, brittle nails, dry hair, dizziness and irritability are only a short list of symptoms of an eating disorder. Eating disorders are defined as a psychological illness that affects eating patterns and affects roughly 30 million people in the U.S., according to The National Association of Anorexia and Associated Disorders, Inc. The fact that men too can suffer from these disorders is scarcely talked about. No matter race, gender, age, socioeconomic status or body type, eating disorders don’t discriminate.

“Eating disorders” is an umbrella term as it branches into numerous different subtypes of disorders. Restrictive food intake and dramatic weight loss are classified as anorexia nervosa. The alternation of binge eating and then purging, whether that be by abusing laxatives, inducing vomit or excessive exercising is defined as a bulimia nervosa. Similar to bulimia nervosa, but retracting the purging phase, binge eating disorder is the act of eating more than average in a perceived loss of control. Typically feelings of shame and self-hatred are followed by an episode of binging. Though there are a few other subtypes, these three are the most prevalent.

The cause of eating disorders can’t be pinned down to one sole reason, but there is a multitude of widespread issues that can have a strong influence on the development of eating disorders. It’s expected, and we’re all seemingly immune to it by now, but the constant and exclusive glorification of thin and muscular bodies can be detrimental to self-image. Societal pressures that we place on ourselves, and sometimes others, have the potential to make some feel ashamed or dissatisfied with their body. This dialogue is all too common: magazines highlighting cellulite and rolls on the bodies of celebrities, friends insisting that they “really shouldn’t eat that slice of cake” and detox teas being sold by every other Instagram influencer.

Perhaps, life is a bit too overwhelming, maybe controlling what and how much you eat for dinner gives you the satisfaction of being in charge of something. Experiencing a traumatic event, or being in a painful part of life can be hard to endure. With so much stigma regarding mental health, it may seem easier to express your feelings by using your body rather than words, or maybe you feel as if you need to prove you’re in pain. You don’t. Being so preoccupied with food, weight, calories, exercising can be so draining and the sad part is, you miss out on so much because you’re worried about that extra cookie you had at lunch.

Being mindful of how we talk to ourselves (and others) truly can make a difference. Unhealthy habits can develop into a clinical disorder, and eating disorders have the potential to become fatal. Learning to find a happy balance between being healthy, both mentally and physically, can be a very tiring and long process, but it’s worth it. That being said, embarking on the journey of healing and recovery alone can be a very daunting and treacherous path. This isn’t to say people can’t handle recovery, but having a support system full of friends and family reminds those suffering that they don’t have to face these tasks all alone.

Ultimately, if you think you may be struggling with disordered eating habits, or that you have an eating disorder― reach out. Confide in a trusted friend or family member, try your best to explain how you’re feeling. And if someone confides in you, listen to them. For those who feel like they have no one to turn to, the National Eating Disorder Association has a hotline for you to call for assistance at (800) 931-2237. Mental health shouldn’t be taken lightly. It’s a pressing subject, and if you’re in need of professional help, there are therapists and psychologists who are educated and eager to provide treatment and support for those struggling. You can visit neda.com for more resources.  

Lily is currently in her fourth semester at UMKC's in their Masters in Counseling program. Whenever she can be with friends she is, when she's not she enjoys reading and doing yoga. Lily has a passion for human rights, mental health, pop-culture and writing.
Krit graduated with English and Chemistry degrees from UMKC. As the President and founder of UMKC’s chapter, she hopes HC UMKC will continue to create content that inspires students. Some of her favorite things include coffee and writing.