This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Although it is common for your pet to feel down during times of sudden change, it is more rare for him or her to become long-term depressed. This is something important to notice, in order to give help right away. It can be difficult to tell, since you cannot outright ask them how they are feeling. So, how can you tell if your dog is depressed?

woman with dog
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels
According to John Ciribassi, DVM, past president of the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior, dogs will show very similar symptoms to a person going through depression. Ciribassi notes that “Dogs will become withdrawn. They become inactive. Their eating and sleeping habits often change. They don’t participate in the things they once enjoyed.”

This means that if your dog once loved to go on walks, play with toys, and munch on his or her favorite treats, then suddenly stops caring for those activities, your dog could be depressed. These behavioral symptoms are similar to a person who unexpectedly has no desire to eat, go out with friends, go to work or school, and simply stops enjoying the simple things that once made him or her happy. 

Depression in dogs can root from moving to a new environment, a new baby or pet in the house (lessening the attention on him or her), the loss of another pet or person, or the owner getting a new job that requires not being home as often. 

Puppy Happy Fun Girl
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus
How can you help treat your furry friend? It is important to continue providing them with enough exercise. Keep him or her up and moving, instead of moping around the house. It is important to not give treats, because “The dog will think you’re rewarding him for that behavior”, according to FETCH by WebMD. Reward them only when they show signs of happiness.

If you are looking for creative ways to make your pup happy, think about what you can do differently for him or her. Since dogs love to swim, BARKPOST suggests buying a baby pool. They recommend putting “some water-friendly dog toys in there so he knows that’s a special place he can go to cool off whenever he wants”. Play games with your dog, like treasure hunts, fetch, hide and seek, or even let them destroy their toys. 

For years our pets have been known to make us happy. Why not show some appreciation and give a little back?

Puppy Hand Fun Ring Summer Hapy Original
Charlotte Reader / Her Campus

Christina is a Professional Writing major, minoring in Spanish, at University of Illinois at Chicago. She is the Senior Editor and President for Her Campus Media, following her passions to one day become an editor as a career.
UIC Contributor.