I Started Drinking 87 Ounces Of Water A Day And Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Being very into makeup and skin care, I constantly watch beauty videos on YouTube. One thing that became obvious to me was that all my favorite gurus would always say “Stay hydrated!” in the middle of their vlog about their recent beauty routines. I always knew that water was great for you and I was well aware that it’s great for your skin as well, but I never did anything with it.

Recently, I decided to listen to everyone and drink more water. I downloaded the app “WaterMinder” to help me keep track of how much water I actually drink in a day. The app prompts you to enter your height, weight, and gender and then it calculates a recommended amount of water per day for your body type. Mine came out to 87 oz. I was amazed…I didn’t think I could possibly ever drink that much water in one day. 

My first day on my water kick, I failed. Reaching only 48% of my daily goal, I wasn’t nearly close enough to be considered passing. I knew this transition would be difficult so I didn’t give up. My second day I exceeded my goal, reaching 108%, without forcing myself to drink. Without thinking about it I was reaching for my water more and more, without any prompting. Everyday since I’ve reached or exceeded my daily goal. 

WaterMinder has an extremely convenient feature to keep you on track, if you feel as though you might fall behind or if you’re worried you will forget to keep drinking. The app will send notifications at certain times (which you can customize) throughout the day in order to help you reach your daily goal. These notifications come in handy when you’re busy in class or at work and just completely forget to drink.

After using the app for close to a week and a half, I have completely cut out other beverages from my diet (besides coffee, of course) without even realizing it! I’ve found myself reaching for water whenever I can. My skin has cleared up completely and is glowing. My normally dry face is hydrated and glowing without makeup, which never used to happen. Also, I’m more energized and not as sluggish in the morning. I never realized how dehydrated my body actually was. Maintaining a steady water intake has definitely bettered my skin, my body, and my energy. I’m so happy with this little experiment and it’s definitely something I plan on keeping up.

Student at University of Illinois at Chicago
UIC Contributor.