This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Ever since I started school, I’ve had a lot of trouble sleeping. Assignments piled up and it required me to stay up sometimes all night to get it done. Other times, I found myself distracted by my phone and also unable to fall asleep when I lie in bed. It made it incredibly hard to get my full 8 hours and also stay focused for the rest of the day. I’ve had periods when I’m on my phone and before I know it it’s already 6 a.m. and I have to start all over with my classes again. So, here are some ways for you guys to try and balance your sleep schedule.

Try to make yourself a balanced sleep schedule.

Just like you try to keep yourself on schedule with your assignments and your other obligations, you need to make sure you get enough sleep. However, you need to be realistic with yourself about how many hours of sleep it takes for you to feel rested. It all depends on the person, do at least try to get 8-10 hours a night. This means you’re gonna have to set yourself to bedtime and a set time to wake up. 

Take a nap.

The funny thing about this is that I never used to be the type of person who liked naps as a kid. As an adult, they’re now my favorite thing. It’s weird how that afternoon nap can help energize. But when I wake up and become awake, I feel like I can and usually will get a lot of work done after. 

Use breathing techniques and meditation to help you fall asleep.

A lot of times I find myself in bed with hot sweat, unable to even get comfortable enough to drift asleep. Sometimes, I find it soothing to listen to calming noises or meditation audio to help me sleep. There’s this app called Breethe that offers free meditation and breathing exercises. It can sometimes help me meditate. 

I hope these tips promote better sleep. Enjoy!

Hello! My name is Tayo Omoniyi, and I am from Tinley Park, Illinois. I am a 2nd-year student at the University of Illinois at Chicago, studying Biology with a pre-medicine track. My passions are writing, travel and medicine. My ultimate career goal is to become a pediatric doctor. Outside of school, I love spending time with my family and friends. I have two younger sisters.
UIC Contributor.