Campus Celebrity: Sabrina Mendoza

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UIC chapter.

Name: Sabrina Mendoza

Age: 19

Hometown: Chicago

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology, Sociology

On Campus Activities: CHAARG, Alternative Spring Break

HC: So, tell us, what is CHAARG?

SM: CHAARG [Changing Health, Attitudes, + Actions to Recreate Girls] is a female fitness organization that aims to ignite a passion for girls in health + fitness in a big community of supportive and empowering girls.

HC: What influenced you to start a CHAARG chapter on UIC’s Campus?

SM: I had lost my love for running after doing it for so long competitively. I quit the track team here at UIC, and constantly went to the Rec to work out every day. I grew tired of being restricted to the types of activities I could do there. I took a rock climbing class and became belay certified. I tried out workouts in the pool but it still was not enough. Then my fellow CHAARG Ambassador at DePaul, Carina Coss, took me to one of their CHAARG workouts at Aerial Silks AirFit studio. I fell in love with this + I knew that I wanted to bring a chapter to UIC to offer girls the opportunity to find their fit in a fun way!

HC: Did you work out a lot before starting CHAARG?

SM: Yes! I love working out. I ran cross country + track in high school, I was on the team here at UIC for a short period of time and then worked out daily at the Rec. I love running races around the city such as the Chinatown 5k, Shamrock Shuffle, and Hot Chocolate Run and hopefully within the next couple of years I can run the Bank of America Marathon.

HC: How often do you guys host events? Are they open to everyone?

SM: We have Main Events every week on Tuesday which is open to all members. In addition we have Small Groups that the girls sign up for depending on their schedule. We have 7 executive members who each lead a group once a week.

HC: Would you consider hosting events that anyone could participate in (including males)?

SM: We would definitely be open to hosting events for everyone outside of our Main Event time. Maybe an open yoga session for the whole campus? I know another organization on campus, Union for Puerto Rican Students [UPRS], wants to collaborate and have a salsa night with us :)

HC: What types of exercises do you all do?

SM: It really varies per week + depending on what the girls are interested in doing. We had the semester scheduled even before classes started and we plan on taking suggestions from all the members to plan out the spring semester. Last week we were at AirFit studio for an aerial silks workout where the instructor takes us through a warm up routine on silk curtains. At the end she shows us how to do some poses and flips. This week we have CorePower Yoga on the lawn and throughout the semester we will also be doing Zumba, Belly Dancing, Rock Climbing, Cycling, Insanity, Barre, Boxing, + Salsa Dancing. We are planning on doing stuff on our own such as zip lining, skydiving, a high ropes course and maybe a camping trip.

HC: How can girls on campus who are interested in joining do so?

SM: In order to become a member there is a $45 membership fee that girls can purchase through chaarg.com under the tab SHOP → CHAPTERS → UIC CHAARG. The membership fee is all they pay for the entire semester, all classes included [which if you put into perspective is like $4 a week for the entire semester great investment in your health if you ask me]

HC: What is the CHAARG motto? If there isn’t one, what motto would you have for the chapter?

SM: “Liberating Girls from the Elliptical” This motto encompasses what we are all about; Getting girls to find their fit by exposing them to new + fun ways to work-out as opposed to the boring ol’ rec all the time.

HC: What are some goals you all have? Where do you see this chapter elevating?

SM: As an executive team we want this first year to go by smoothly since we are a new organization. We hope that by the end of the year, if not by the end of this semester, CHAARG will be well known on campus. We want to be able to have people say “oh yea,CHAARG!” as opposed to the very beginning of the year when it was more of “oh, what’s CHAARG?”

HC: What is your goal being a CHAARG Ambassador?

SM: As an ambassador, my goals are to really change these girls’ lives. Every single one of them have fit goals they hope to achieve at the end of the semester + I am determined to help every single girl achieve them. I want to make CHAARG the org on campus that girls are comfortable with exercising to have fun and be healthy.

HC: How does this affect your future?

SM: Part of being an Ambassador means I am these girls leader and role model not only the members but also for my executive team. I have to make sure that things are done and that they are done right so that everyone gets the most out of this and that things run smoothly. By doing so I am improving on numerous things such as organization, time management, communication skills and learning new things along the way. This will definitely help me in the future just because these are crucial in order to achieve success no matter what discipline it may be in.

HC: What is your dream job?

SM: If you would have asked me this a year ago I would have certainly told you that I wanted to be an Elementary School teacher. Since my first day of kindergarten I wanted to become a teacher. Until last semester I decided to set my mind on Psychology and Sociology instead in order to become a child psychologist. Regardless of whatever I set my mind to, I want to ultimately help people in one way or another.

HC: What advice would you give to other girls who are finding their way to getting fit?

SM: Never give up + never say you CAN’T do something. It is your mentality that will keep you from achieving your goals whether they be fit goals or personal goals. Try new things and keep an open mind, only that way will you be able to experience new things and make everlasting memories. It is the journey to our goal that we remember + that matters most than actually achieving it.

HC: Thank you so much for allowing us to interview you! This is an awesome new organization on campus and we look forward to learning about the upcoming events you all will host. Health and wellness is vitally important and you bringing an organization like this to our campus is a stepping stone towards women on our campus who are trying to get fit!

Tikia Travis is a former writer for HERCampus UIC (2015-2017). Tikia majored in English with a concentration on Media, Rhetorical, and Cultural Studies. She also completed the Creative Writing, Professional Writing, and British Literature Concentrations. Tikia loves reading, writing, music, fashion, and FOOD (you can tell that from my picture, lol)!! School, Starbucks, Health and Fitness are my LIFE! She aspires to one day become a Published Author and Education Professional. In her spare time, she write creatively and professionally, and assists others with their essays/writing needs.
Erin is a Communication student at the University of Illinois at Chicago and the President and Editor-in-Chief of UIC's Her Campus chapter. On a daily basis, she can be found making excessive film references and getting overly emotional about superhero TV shows. She has a deep passion for writing, movies, music, good books, and great food, and will gladly talk your ear off about all of the above if prompted to do so.