This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

Pink has taken over campus due to Breast Cancer Awareness month!

As college students we feel invincible, but breast cancer doesn’t care who you are.

One in eight women will get the disease during their lifetime. So think about you and seven friendsodds are one of you will be diagnosed.

Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer in women, and the second leading cause of death. Not to mention that it can even affect men!

Heres what you need to know.

Don’t increase your risk:

We often talk about how different plastics and other products around you can give you cancer, but let’s talk about real tried-and-true risk factors

That being said, here are some of the most important things to know. Alcohol consumption, especially in large amounts, can increase risk for cancer. So think before you drink at those college parties.

Being overweight, and lack of exercise also increase ones risk. This is something all college students should keep in mind.

Ladies, oral birth control pills also slightly increase ones breast cancer risk. However, this risk will be decreased after one stops taking the pill. Make sure to speak with your doctor about any inherent health risks.

Treat breast cancer like traffic signals:

It is crucial to know breast cancer symptoms. The most widely known symptom of breast cancer is a new lump in ones breast. It can be painless or painful, hard or soft, have irregular edges or be uniform in shape. Pretty much any type of lump in ones breast should be checked by a doctor to be safe!

Additional symptoms include, swelling of the breast, skin irritation, breast/nipple pain, change in appearance of skin on nipple or breast, or any nipple discharge that isnt breast milk.

“Can it be prevented?”:

Early prevention is highly suggested.

You may be wondering what kinds of steps you should take, so let me outline good practices for college-aged women:

As women (teens to thirties) , we should be getting a clinical breast exam (CBE) as a part of our regular check ups every three years. These are done in addition to mammograms to help get women more familiar with their breasts and breast health!

Even when were not at the doctor we can be checking our breasts ourselves. Breast self-exams are an awesome step-by-step way to assess the health of our breasts in the comfort of our own home. Do not be concerned with doing it perfectly, doing it at all is what is important!

Keep your boobs in check.

Remember: We are not doctors. We just want you to be cognizant of risks and symptoms.

"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."