8 Reasons Why the Rec is Perfect After Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UH chapter.

I completed my first midterm this past week, and although it felt like a weight was lifted once it was over, I was itching to release the pent up midterm stress I accumulated from my all-nighters.

After pulling a Lewis and Clark and exploring all of UH to find the perfect spot, I discovered the Rec and all eight reasons why the Rec is perfect after midterms.

1. There is workout equipment fa-dayz.

Let’s ignore the fact that I’m stating the obvious and focus on what’s important here; the crazy amount of machines you have to choose from. That means you can go straight to de-stressing. No more standing around awkwardly as you wait for one to become available because the pickings are endless.

2. Two words: Combat. Room. Need I say more?

Maybe working out in front of people isn’t your thing; lawd knows I’ve been there. This is when I strongly suggest you hit up the Combat Room. It’s a padded room that is used mainly for martial arts, but I vote you grab a f**kboy, and take all your feels out on him.

3. My personal favorites here: the racquetball and squash courts, plus there’s table tennis.

It doesn’t get much better than whacking the living daylights out of a little ball, and not looking insane while doing so. Let’s be real, it’s a form of therapy in itself. Also ladies, here’s your excuse to wear a cute tennis skirt and show off them legs.

4. Smoothie King is at your fingertips, #blessingsonblessingsonblessings.

I’m sure after your midterm you will be just as haaangry as I was. Luckily, a Smoothie King juice bar greets you right when you enter the Rec, and it screams “Treat Yo’ Self.”

5. Get yo’ rock climb on.

If you aren’t afraid of heights then rock climbing is the way to go. Let’s say you didn’t do so hot on your exam, ain’t no thang boo. You can still feel some sort of sense of accomplishment if you reach the top of the wall.

6. Attend a group fitness session with friends.

Let’s see… there’s power yoga, Zumba, cycling, and Pilates classes to list a few and yes, they’re fo’ free! There is even a nightclub cardio class, “brb” while I dance my exam worries away.

7. Soothe your test distress in the sauna.

Sweating without having to workout? Releasing negative energy without having to do cardio? Let us all take a moment to appreciate what a beautiful invention the sauna is. Your relaxing sauna sesh will also help that breakout you got from all the stress by cleaning your pores.

And the ultimate post-midterm pick-me-up you will find at the Rec is:

8. The eye candy.

I have finally discovered the location where all the attractive men of UH congregate and let me tell you, it is nothing short of heaven. Their bodies are sculpted to the proportions of Michelangelo’s David and drooling over them will be enough to make your heart rate rise.

Sometimes all it takes to lift a lady’s spirit is simply gawking at a fine piece of man (who’s shirtless, if we’re lucky).

Rebekah /rɪ'bɛkə/ (noun) 1. Junior at the University of Houston majoring in broadcast journalism, 2. Outdoor enthusiast (as well as all things lumbersexual), 3. Star Wars aficionado, 4. Hot mess of a 21-year-old whose interests include all things that contradict one another, 5. Coffee fanatic. Stay weird with her on Twitter/Instagram: @RebekahCeleste
"Writing means sharing. It's part of the human condition to want to share things - thoughts, ideas, opinions."