bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why I Follow a 3,000-Year-Old Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Today, it’s becoming increasingly rare to find someone who’s not particular about their diet in some way, especially among millennials. Sometimes it is due to health conditions, such as Celiac disease, lactose intolerance or other allergies. Other times, you’ll see people pick up on eating habits out of ethical concern, like vegetarianism or veganism. In some cases, they’ll see certain ideas trending like the Paleo diet, juice cleanses or organic food, and they will pick up on them out of sheer curiosity. Regardless of the circumstance, you’ll find that most don’t view these things as dietary restrictions — they’re viewed as lifestyles.

On the other hand, I grew up in a Reform Jewish household that placed high value on food as an experience. A meal wasn’t simple nourishment — it was an opportunity to sample diverse cultures and nuanced culinary decisions. In other words, a meal was viewed as a form of art. Although I didn’t get to travel the globe as a child, my family and I dined at numerous restaurants, each with their own authentic worldly cuisine. My mom always remarked that I was the one kid who was willing to try almost any food, and my grandma certainly relished in this trait as she served me things like French escargot, Indian curry, Japanese soft-shell crab and Chinese dim sum. My grandparents viewed the concept of a “dietary restriction,” beyond strict health concerns, as a pity. Consequently, they took pride in their rejection of the traditional Jewish kosher dietary laws.

So, for most of my life, “keeping kosher” wasn’t really on my radar. I had asked my grandma about it once or twice, but she brushed it off as archaic and silly. She recalled the fights her relatives used to have (one set of grandparents kept kosher, while the other did not) and ultimately decided that none of it was worth the hassle. To this day, she refuses to hang up string lights in December, and she would fall on the floor if one of her grandchildren were to get a tattoo, but a good pork roast remains one of her staples.

Since a lot of Grandma’s favorite foods contain pork, I developed a nostalgic sense for the savory flavor of bacon, the spicy kick of pepperoni and the sausage bits she loved to bake into her signature Italian-style stromboli. However, at some point in high school, I started turning up my nose at anything swine-based. I couldn’t place my finger as to why — maybe it was because of the pig I had dissected in AP Biology, or my long-lost years of Hebrew school — but I was becoming increasingly tired of eating it. Grandma refused to accept this, and instead she chose to blame my newfound distaste on Lily, my childhood best friend, who was a vegetarian for two years. Ironically, by the time Grandma brought this up, Lily wasn’t a vegetarian anymore. Aside from those two years, Lily has always been an avid barbecue fan and even sprinkled real bacon bits on top of her favorite maple cupcakes.  But Grandma harped on this anyway, because she saw the idea of her own granddaughter rejecting pork as a devastating blow and wasn’t sure how to handle it.

Needless to say, she wasn’t thrilled when I brought home a kosher-keeping boyfriend about halfway through college. I was always open to dating someone who kept kosher, but I hadn’t seriously thought into it until I met Perry. Although at first I wasn’t sure if I could adopt the kosher rules for myself, I kept an open mind, and eventually, I learned to love Perry’s kosher kitchen like a second home. My adjustment to a kosher lifestyle is an ongoing process that Grandma was adamantly against at first. But over time, she’s learned to respect our differences, and I’ve found ways to enjoy all the tastes of the world in a way that better resonates with my spiritual self. That nagging feeling I had throughout high school clicked itself into place. Like my peers on all sorts of diet plans, I don’t see kosher as a mere set of rules; I see it as a lifestyle. And if I could get into it, even with all of my family’s influence, maybe so could you.

The full scope of kosher law requires intensive study and commitment that might not be the best fit for most college students (although if you’re interested, you can find in-depth guides on websites like Chabad and Aish). However, there are many principles within the kosher laws that I think are widely appealingand that could even become “trendy” if they fall into the right hands. Today, I’m here to share some tricks from over 3,000 years worth of wisdom, filled with ideas that span across ethics, health, spirituality and time. Ready to dig in?

1. Animals used for kosher meat are raised and slaughtered more ethically than most others.

Many people follow vegetarian or vegan diets due to concerns about how animals are treated on farms and in factories. However, animals raised by companies that abide by kosher laws — which include the concept of respect for all living creatures — face less harm, better regulation,health and reduced pain in their final moments than most animals on other farms. Even Temple Grandin, a known animal welfare activist, notes that 95 percent of calves that are cut in a kosher manner lose consciousness almost immediately (as opposed to this happening at only 36 percent of beef plants that use bolt gun methods). Kosher laws outline strict regulations on everything from the blade of the knife to the swiftness of the strike, which virtually guarantees that an animal will not register any pain.

Additionally, since animals with “blemishes” were considered unfit for sacrifice in the ancient Jewish temple, kosher meat must come from animals that are healthy and properly formed. Because of this, a kosher farm is less likely to raise chickens in overly confined coops or cages, since doing so would lead to a higher rate of illness and injury (which would render the chicken non-kosher). The kosher salting process has also been found to reduce the rate of bacteria growth. As one of my great grandmothers used to say, a non-kosher chicken was a “sick chicken,” and according to modern science, it appears she was on to something.

Of course, there are some “kosher” slaughterhouses that have been found to have horrible conditions. But these sorts of places are in the minority, and are not actually in line with true kosher law. In all other cases, kosher meat is held to stringent and specified standards, unlike meat labeled with other, more ambiguous terms like “natural” or “grass-fed.” In short, if you eat meat from a reputable kosher company, you’ll know it was treated with care.

2. Pork and shellfish are fairly problematic foods.

In 2015, the World Health Organization cited “sufficient evidence” that the consumption of processed meat — such as ham, sausage and bacon — can lead to cancer. Another study found that over 78 percent of pork consumption comes from processed foods, so by resolving to cut pork out of your diet, you’d naturally be reducing your rate of eating processed meat altogether. Of course, kosher processed meat exists too. It’s a staple in many New York delis. But in Jewish culture, it’s seen as a delicacy rather than an everyday treat. This is a stark contrast to the common American concept of throwing bacon on top of almost everything. Could you stick to eating pork in moderation, or only eating non-processed swine? Sure, but if we’re going to consider the old adage “you are what you eat,” I’d rather not be eating like a pig. According to Jewish philosophy, pork represents a gluttonous mindset that’s preferable to avoid, and in a place like America, it’s easy to see why.

Shellfish also has its issues. I didn’t pick up on this from a rabbi, but rather from my high school marine science teacher. He found the methods of shrimp farming to be so environmentally and ecologically harmful that he decided to avoid eating shrimp altogether — and he’s not even Jewish! He also taught us that shellfish, including oyster, clams and lobster, could contain potentially fatal biotoxins that can’t be “cooked out” (as if the raw shellfish warnings in restaurants weren’t scary enough!). Although some may claim that such cases are rare and most fishermen avoid waters known to be infested, it’s up to you to decide whether or not to take the risk. Personally, I’d rather not play Russian roulette with my dinner — especially when other equally delicious options exist.

3. Separating milk and meat will make you more aware of your eating habits.

Traditional Jews don’t cook milk and meat together and will wait a few hours after eating meat before consuming any dairy products. From a health standpoint, combining milk and meat substantially raises the amount of saturated fat and cholesterol in your meal and is a totally unnecessary practice today. With so many fantastic vegan substitutes available, it’s easy to make “cheeseburgers” using products like Daiya, or “chicken” Parmesan with Gardein. You could use almond or coconut milk in place of cow’s milk for cream-based sauces, and eat vegan ice cream for dessert after your steak dinner. Also, with kosher meat being more expensive (and often harder to find), and with an hours-long separation between eating meat and eating dairy afterward, many people who keep kosher end up eating primarily vegetarian diets anyway. In essence, kosher philosophy allows for someone to occasionally eat meat, but the decision to do so must always be carefully thought through.

From a more spiritual standpoint, separating milk and meat acts as a reminder of the contrast between life and death. While we might not literally be boiling a baby animal in its mother’s milk, this kosher principle reminds us each and every time we go for a piece of meat to consider the living being that once was. With this, meals are elevated from simple sources of fuel to a deeper level of consideration of our actions. In fact, there are many theories claiming that the truest Jewish ideal is one of vegetarianism, but for those who aren’t ready to commit to a fully vegetarian diet, kosher is the next best thing.

4. Kosher certified foods (especially vegetables) are washed and checked for bugs.

Because honestly, who likes finding bugs in their salad? Gross. Thankfully, the Jewish sages always had this covered. Products with kosher symbols, particularly anything containing produce, have been checked for bugs. (Look for pre-washed salad mixes with a kosher stamp on the bag or box!)

5. Kosher certification adds an extra layer of food safety and security.

Whether or not you personally believe in a higher power, you can rest assured that the people from the kosher certification companies probably do. A secular processing company can choose to cut corners, with the hope of saving time and money while avoiding getting caught. (Even Whole Foods doesn’t always listen to the FDA.) However, kosher certifiers feel a watchful eye above them, one that can’t be so easily dodged. They don’t see food monitoring as simply about a consumer’s “right” to safe food, but rather as a core ethical and moral principle. Kosher certified foods are also monitored closely for cross-contamination, which makes life easier for someone who wants to avoid dairy, shellfish or certain other additives. (This is especially useful for vegetarians who want to avoid gelatin and rennet!) Lastly, thanks to the legal protection surrounding most kosher symbols, you can be confident about them as a seal of approval.

At the end of the day, kosher doesn’t just have to be for Jews. In an ever-complex world, it’s always nice to know that your food is being handled with ethical care. The philosophy of kosher spans beyond the dinner table — it reaches into a person’s soul, and brings an additional layer of meaning into daily life. The time for kosher as the “next trendy diet” is now more than ever, even if it’s a few thousand years late!

Valerie Berman graduated from the University of Florida in 2018 with a Bachelor of Science in Health Education, and continued her academic pursuits as part of the UF College of Nursing's Accelerated BSN program. During her undergraduate years, she was a member of the UF Honors Program, volunteered with Shands Hospital and Alachua County Schools, acted as delegate for the Jewish Student Union's Dance Marathon team, and got involved with the Jewish community on campus as part of the Lubavitch Chabad Student Group. She also traveled to Israel twice, and attended various Judaic study programs. Val's creative pursuits extend beyond writing – she's also dipped her toes into baking, painting, and designing Redbubble stickers. Her current life plan involves furthering her nursing career, settling down in New York or South Florida, and eventually becoming that one Jewish mother everyone knows and loves. For now, though, you can probably find her eating ice cream and plotting how to win her next Pokémon battle!