books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Sleeping in and Skipping Class: 3 Tips to Waking up in the Morning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When registering for classes for the first time as a high school senior, you probably thought, “I woke up for school at 6:30 a.m. every morning; getting up for an 8:15 a.m. class is no problem.”

Fast-forward, and you’ve skipped half of your classes because you couldn’t roll out of bed in time. Even if you try to avoid morning classes for the upcoming semester, at some point you’ll have to take a class early in the day. Here are some ways to stop hitting the snooze button, wake up feeling fresh and alert, and have enough time to shower:

Have an obnoxious sounding alarm: 
If you wake up to the soulful and sassy voice of Beyoncé every morning, those tunes won’t take you out from under your covers and to class.  If anything, setting your alarm clock to the radio or to play your iPod, will lull you back to sleep (unless you set it to heavy metal of course!) Instead, set it to that standard alarm clock noise.  If you have an iPhone, trying setting the alarm‘s sound to “Alarm.”  It’s probably the most obnoxious and annoying setting there is, and it will be sure to startle you during those early morning hours.

Put your alarm out of reach: 
That snooze button is awfully easy to reach. Chances are you have had those mornings where you hit snooze 10 (more like 20) times before you have to go to class. Instead, leave convenience behind, and put that alarm clock across the room. This way you have to physically get up and get out of bed to hit that snooze button. After just once or twice of getting up you’ll be fully away and ready to get the day rolling.

Have a consistent sleeping schedule: 
College life can be a bit all over the place at times, and so can our sleeping patterns.  After pulling a few all-nighters and getting eleven hours of sleep the next day, your bodies natural sleeping schedule will be completely out of whack. This is a major reason why many students find it hard to fall asleep at night and hard to wake up in the morning. As much as we all love sleeping in on the weekend, since most of us barely get an Z’s during the week, it may not be the best for the body.

“When people sleep late on weekends, they revert to their natural phase-delayed rhythm,” explains Jean Matheson, a sleep-disorders specialist at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York in an article for Popular Science Magazine. Therefore, sleeping all day during the weekends make it harder to wake up early on weekdays. 

With the help of these three tips, you’ll be up and awake instead of passed out in your bed all day.  Get up, go to class, get the grades, and stop sleeping your days away. You’ll feel a lot more productive if you start your days right.

Photo source: blog.colloidsforlife.com

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.