Sedentary Struggles: How to Get More Steps Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

One day I discovered the Health application on my iPhone. As I was scrolling through it, I found the ‘Steps’ tab and clicked it. Apparently, all of the steps I’ve taken have been counted since the day I bought my phone. Naturally, I scrolled through the data and was shocked by what I found. The goal is normally to take 10,000 steps, and I thought that I’m a pretty active person. I walk to class and I go to the gym regularly. I was mortified to find that some days I don’t even break 1,000 steps and I rarely get past 10,000.

Finding this application has definitely made me more aware of my daily activity. It is so easy to just sit around. Whether you’re in bed watching Netflix or sitting in class, you can end up barely moving all day. I have started implementing little ways to walk more on a daily basis. It can definitely be hard, but here are a few tips for the average college student to add more steps to your day.

Never Use the Elevator
With all of the multi-floor buildings and classrooms, it’s easy to just take the elevator. Not only is it probably faster to take the stairs, but it’s also better for you. It will also add to your daily step total. Some fitness trackers even count how many flights of stairs you climb during the day. Instead of being lazy and taking the elevator up one floor, just take the stairs and rack up those step counts for the day..

Always Walk to Class
With such a big campus, walking to class can really make a difference. Just one trip from your apartment or dorm to class can easily be 1,000 steps. You can enjoy the beautiful Florida weather all while getting exercise. Scooting or taking the bus might seem like the more convenient route, but this way you can avoid traffic, too.

Take Walking Breaks
As college students, we have to sit a lot. Writing papers, watching lectures and attending class all normally involve sitting. If you have to sit down for a long period of time, plan little walking breaks every hour. Taking a short five-minute walk will help you stay active throughout the day and give you a rest from studying.

Walk and Talk
When you’re reconnecting with your family back home via phone, walk while you’re talking. Pacing can add so many extra steps into your day. If you’re having a 20-minute phone call with Mom and Dad, try walking around the entire time. You can also pace in other situations, like waiting for your food to finish cooking or while commercials are on the television.

Compete with Friends
Find a friend who wants to walk more during the day, too. Compete with him or her to see who can walk the most every day. The winner for every week or month could buy lunch one day. This will definitely motivate you to walk more throughout the day. Some fitness trackers even allow you to share your data with friends so you can easily see who walks the most.

Walk for Fun
Instead of just sitting around watching television, try doing something more active to pass the time. For instance, going to the local farmer’s market or even shopping at the mall will give you more steps. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, hiking or playing a sport are also fun, active things to do.

I definitely suggest looking at your phone’s fitness tracker. You may also be shocked by how little you actually walk in a day — I know I was. Once you become aware of this, you can take control and start to change your habits. Luckily, it isn’t too hard for college students to get on their feet if they just try.

Photo Credit: wisegeek.com

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!