This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Growing up, I put a lot of pressure on myself. My college essay was literally about my overwhelming stress and clearly it was deleterious enough to get me accepted into UF. There was no real root of the high expectations I had set for myself; maybe it was because I was an only child, or maybe it was because I thrived off competition. Regardless of its origin, it played a significant role in my life that sparked a wake-up call: something needed to change. I didn’t start feeling its effects until my senior year of high school. Initially, I self-diagnosed myself with senioritis, but its effects were consistent – they didn’t falter when my workload fluctuated. I was against receiving help for quite a long time but when it began to affect my daily life, my parents  got involved, and soon after I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder. Quite a difference from senioritis, isn’t it? You can imagine what a shock that was. 

However, that shock was exactly what I needed. The realization that my problems were more serious than a resistance to schoolwork incentivized me to take action. That’s the first step to finding your balance:  admitting to yourself that something needs to change. 

Prior to this wake-up call, my life was centered around work. Whether it be academics, extracurriculars or earning minimum wage at Noodles and Company, all I did was work. At the time, I thought that it would be beneficial – I would be perceived as a hardworking individual and colleges would have no choice but to accept me. Looking back at it now, I wish that I had done everything differently. The experiences that I missed were innumerable, which is why I promised myself that things would change once I got to UF. I would find my balance. 

The first month here was a little rough, seeing as I put too much emphasis on the “fun” aspect and too little on that of “work.” However, that’s how you find balance: a period of trial and error. Balance looks different for everyone. Some people enjoy working hard during the day and celebrating at night, while others seek pleasure in nights spent indoors watching “10 Things I Hate About You” with a burrito bowl from Chipotle. I am the latter. 

To achieve balance, you must find what makes you happy. Not a superficial, scrolling on TikTok for hours happiness, but a genuine happiness. Find what inspires you to get out of bed in the morning and set time aside to pursue it. It’s imperative to prioritize this behavior, as there are many dangers of overworking oneself, such as your cortisol levels (i.e., the primary stress hormone) increasing, which may potentially lead to high blood pressure, among many other health concerns (Cleveland Clinic).

When I first moved into my dorm, it was difficult to find things that brought me joy. I grew up just outside of Chicago, and Gainesville is quite a difference. It ultimately came down to the  trial-and-error process – I asked other students what they do for fun, and then engaged in many of these activities with some friends of mine. Some were perfect, such as spending the day at St. Augustine and thrifting downtown, while others weren’t the right fit, specifically spending the weekend at Grog. 

It’s extremely beneficial to put yourself in new positions and explore different opportunities. If you stick to what makes you comfortable, you’ll never be able to grow – if you don’t let yourself try, you’ll never know. For me, the key to finding balance at Gainesville has been spending time off campus and reminding myself that I have a life that extends beyond solely being a college student. While it’s important that you dedicate time to working hard, don’t forget that there is life outside of UF, and there is life outside of Gainesville. It’s up to you to go out and pursue it. 

Tanya Fedak is a freshman at the University of Florida who is double majoring in journalism and political science. She has always had a passion for journalism, and you can see some of her work in The Stanford Daily! When she's not writing, she's either listening to Harry Styles or Taylor Swift, performing in a musical, reading, or planning her next vacation. She's incredibly excited to join Her Campus UFL and to work with such a talented group of individuals!