How Growing Up as a Skier Helped Me Become Who I Am Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When someone looks out of their window as winter is near and spots the first drop of snow of the season, they may jump in excitement that snow days are coming. On the other hand, many people may roll their eyes at this sight as they think of the looming cold weather. For me, when I first see snow, only one thing comes to mind: Ski season. Since I was 7 years old, I’ve been a passionate and avid skier. Skiing is something I do with my family or friends, and it is usually made into a trip for us. Skiing and snowboarding are two of the most popular winter sports. Growing up, I was never athletic, and as I looked at others around me, I envied their passion for sports. It wasn’t the kicking of a soccer ball or the throwing of a basketball that made me jealous, but rather the idea that my peers all seemed passionate about something, and I wanted to have that same feeling about a sport. When my dad first put me on skis at age 7, I was overwhelmed with how I would ever learn the skills and upset as I continuously fell down the slopes. By age 13, however, I had learned the necessary technique and skills. Moreover, skiing has multiple health benefits, such as strengthening muscles and weight loss. I finally felt as if I had found my perfect escape from reality that allowed me to forget every worry in my head. When I glide down the mountain, no other feeling quite compares. I feel beyond lucky for every fall and every success I have ever had with skiing because it led me to become the passionate skier I am today.

Three years ago, I never would have pictured myself attending college in Florida. I love my seasonal weather, but I also have a newfound love for the warmth. I have realized even in 90-degree weather where I am miles away from a mountain, the various lessons I have learned from skiing apply to my everyday life here at UF. Here are some of the biggest takeaways I have learned that help me both on and off the slopes.

Follow your passion, and set aside time for the things you love

After a busy and stressful semester, the first place I want to go when I come home for Thanksgiving is the ski mountain. When I ski down the mountain, I feel as though all of my stress disappears. Skiing allows me to clear my head and go forward with a much more positive and open mindset. Exercise and being outside can help relieve stress, so skiing is proven to be linked with happiness. Skiing is the perfect combination of outside exercise and traveling. Whether or not you are a pro-skier or have never even seen snow, you can take this lesson and apply it to your everyday life. Find your passion and utilize your passion to help relieve stress and be your best self. Even during the busiest times at school, I always set aside time for the things I love, such as writing and art, so I am never taken over by too much stress. Balancing your time is half the battle toward living a positive lifestyle, and maintaining your mental health is an important part of college.

Don’t let failure hold you back

Now that I have been skiing for years, I often face challenges and setbacks. When I had first become confident in my skiing skills and felt equipped to go on black and double-black diamond level trails, also known as the most challenging types of trails, I faced a big fall. As I tipped my skis down one of my first double-black diamond trails, I fell down almost the whole trail, and I had lost a ski and both poles as I fell. For the next year, I skied in fear. I said no to just about any challenging trail, and skied slow on trails that used to seem easy to me. Anytime something seemed as if it were about to go wrong, I panicked. However, one time my parents and convinced me to retry a black diamond trail. At first, I froze in my stance, and I could barely get myself to move. After looking at my friends and family glide through the trail, I thought to myself how this was not worth it. One setback had taken over my love and passion for skiing. I knew I couldn’t live in fear and had to face the challenge. From now on, whenever I face a challenge with skiing, I reflect back on this time and remember I need to face challenges in order to overcome obstacles in my life. I utilize this lesson on a daily basis at UF. Whether it was sorority recruitment, a challenging course or going to an interview, I know it’s better to take the risk rather than to wonder “what if?”

Know you can always improve

Even though I am currently happy with the way I ski, I know there is always room for improvement. I will never stop working on my technique and trying new trails because if I never try new things, then I will never learn to improve. I enjoy feeling confident about my skiing skills, but I also enjoy pushing myself to be the best possible skier I can be. I use self-motivation to work toward my personal skiing goals. I apply this lesson to my life off the slopes as well. I continuously try to push myself to become a better person, student, friend, daughter, sister, writer and employee. Setting goals for myself and trying new things allows me to improve both on and off the slopes.

Jolie Freedman is a Sophomore at the University of Florida and is from Melville, New York. Jolie is working towards achieving a Bachelor of Arts in journalism with an outside concentration in marketing. Jolie has a passion for storytelling and digital media, and she places a heavy emphasis on the importance of social media. Jolie is also a campus trendsetter for Her Campus Media and an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications. Aside from her journalistic involvement, Jolie enjoys skiing and art. Jolie's inspiration to join the Her Campus community stems from her involvement as the Print Manager and Staff Writer/Editor for her high school's newspaper.
UF Class of 2021. Journalism & women's studies. Viviana Moreno is a writer and online creative dedicated to exuding warmth and promoting inclusivity. She creates content that fuels truth and curiosity through her contributions to publications that seek to empower and inform primarily college-aged individuals.