This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone has busy schedules in college, which means staying fit can be hard to keep up with. This is especially true when fast-food places dot UF’s campus. It takes a lot of willpower to not give in and get a Chick-fil-A meal at the Hub during class breaks. Busy schedules full of classes, homework and social events make it even harder to find time for the gym. Working out after a hard day of classes is definitely the last thing on your mind. Finding some ways to switch up your routine to make it more fun will make it easier to keep yourself fit all year long. There are many things you can do with your friends to get a killer workout in while hanging out. Some easy ways to eat healthier can also help maintain your physical health, and they’ll fuel your body with nutritional food for all of the tasks that you have ahead of you. 

Fun Alternatives for Your Daily Workout

You may be dreading it, but exercise can be a great stress reliever. Everyone knows that college students go through a lot of stress, so getting a quick workout in is one of the best things you can do for your body. If you have the same mundane workout routine every time, then your workout may feel like the most boring thing in the world. But here are some great ways you can spice up your routine so it doesn’t feel like such a burden.

1. There are so many fun classes offered at Student Rec and Southwest Rec. The hip hop and international dance classes they have are definitely an exciting alternative to just doing cardio on the elliptical or a hundred sit-ups. 

2. Another great option on campus is getting a bunch of your friends to run at the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Going by yourself to do stadiums may not seem that intriguing, but if you get your whole girl group together, it can be a fun way to break up the day, and you can help each other get through the tough, but rewarding, stadiums.

3. If you feel like going off campus to get a different type of workout, there are classes available  at places like Orange Theory that provide a great workout you can do with some of your friends to switch it up. 

Food Options for When You Want to Eat Healthier

I know firsthand how tempting it is when starving on campus and wanting to stop at one of the many fast food-places for a quick meal. But eating nutritional food is just as essential for your overall health as exercise. If you’re always eating fast food, it’ll start to take a toll on your body, and you won’t be able to perform as well in your classes or job. After eating fast food, I always feel lethargic and like my body doesn’t have the proper amount of energy it needs. This is the start of a vicious cycle — I would always go back for more fast food each day because I had no other way of getting food besides the places on campus while I had breaks between classes. I decided that I had to make a change in my diet, and I found that, after switching to healthier eating options, I had much more energy and could function a lot better. The key is to find whatever works for you and fits into your schedule. Through some research, I found some options to help you avoid eating fast food every day and to make sure you put healthy food into your body.

1. Don’t have the time to go grocery shopping? The company HelloFresh mails you fresh ingredients and easy to follow recipes so you can whip up a healthy meal and feel like a professional chef doing it. You can choose the recipes you want each week, so you’ll never get bored of your food. All you have to do is sign up for a meal plan on their website, and you will have your whole diet planned out, making it easier for you to avoid junk foods.

2. Another great way to eat healthier is meal prepping at the start of each week. This cures not knowing what to eat during the week, especially on a really busy schedule. Meal prepping is perfect for college students constantly on the go. So, before starting a busy week, take an hour over the weekend to put together a meal for each day. Also, grab something to eat quickly when you are on the go. 

3. One other fun way to make sure you’re eating properly is to invite some friends over to cook dinner together. If you aren’t a big fan of cooking, cooking alone may seem boring and avoidable. However, if you have some of your good friends with you, cooking a meal together can be a fun way to socialize while also making sure you are eating a nutritional meal.

I hope these fun workouts and easy ways for eating healthier helps you stay fit in college and maintain your overall health because I know how hard it can be with a busy schedules! 

Ashlyn is a student at the University of Florida studying journalism.
Jess is a senior journalism major with a Russian minor. She loves reading and learning foreign languages, and she has an oddly strong affection for grammar. Her goal is to work in the book publishing industry after graduation where she can work with the first love of her life: books. In her spare time, she’s usually having fun with her sisters from Theta Nu Xi or doing some arts and crafts. She is co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UFL for the 2019-2020 school year.