Fitness With Finesse: Work Out Like Beyoncé — Tips To Slay Every Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Ninety-nine percent of the time I’m on the treadmill, you best believe I’m listening to Beyoncé’s jams on Spotify. Listening to Queen Bey is a great motivator and gets you feeling like the fierce, independent woman you are. After my third time of replaying “Formation” at the gym last week, I couldn’t help but wonder if Beyoncé had a workout routine, so I took my curiosity to Google. Granted, Beyoncé doesn’t have ample time during her day to be at the gym for several hours, and neither do we, so that makes her already relatable.

Her personal trainer revealed the show-stopping secrets to how Beyoncé keeps it bootylicious. Interval training is key to her workout routine. By alternating between two or more activities, you are burning more calories in a shorter amount of time, meaning #efficiency. Much to my surprise (and yours), a lot of her exercises can be done in the comfort of your own home. So, if Bey can fit these exercises into her busy schedule, you can squeeze them into your day as well. *Note: Beyonce does around 12-15 repetitions of each exercise.

1. Plank, plank, plank
I know that word brings back some painful memories, but Beyoncé does over a hundred of these during her workout, so try challenging yourself to keep up with her. Lie down on the floor face down and hold yourself up on your toes and your forearms. Hold this position for about ten seconds and then repeat.

2. Alternate between sprinting and jogging on the treadmill
This one is pretty self explanatory. Sprint for a minute and then jog for two minutes or more before sprinting again. The time intervals depend on how long it takes for you to recover.

3. Jumping lunges
Stand in a lunge position, drop down and jump explosively. Make sure to switch your stance in the air as you drop back to lunge position. These lunges will help you get those million-dollar Beyoncé thighs.

4. Bench jumps
Stand on a backless bench that is about 1 to 2 feet high, jump down to the ground so you’re straddling the bench, and jump back onto the bench with both your feet together. Continue until you feel the burn.

5. Dance
Last but definitely not least, we have Bey’s favorite workout. We know our girl has some serious skills when it comes to dancing. So learn a dance choreography from YouTube, play Just Dance, take a group fitness dance class (Zumba or hip hop fitness anyone?), or next time you hit the club go extra hard on the dance floor.

Pro tip: For extra motivation, change your phone background to a fierce picture of Beyoncé. That way when you feel like giving up you can always look down at your phone for some motivation. Remember that Beyoncé’s real beauty lies in her self confidence and strength. Keep slaying, collegiettes!

Photo credit: pinterest.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.