Fitness With Finesse: Exercises You Can Do Using A Kettlebell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

There’s more to working out with a kettlebell than swinging it around. Sure, kettlebell swinging works out your entire body and burns all those calories you gained at Chipotle, but they can almost always be included in every workout. Kettlebells are simple to use and make a noticeable difference when it comes to getting your gains. Below I’ve a listed a few different exercises you can get done with a kettlebell. There’s so many more, so I suggest you do your research and learn more ways to use this nifty piece of gym equipment.

1. Incorporate them into your squats
Get in squat position and hold the kettlebell with both your hands in front of your chest (with your elbows bent towards your body). Feel the burn!

2. Try a kettlebell deadlift
They are great for building both lower body and core strength. All you do is hold the kettlebell with both hands and squat down and resume doing your standard deadlifts.

3. Go for the around-the-body pass
This one is pretty self-explanatory. Hold the kettlebell with both hands and move it around your body in a rounded motion. Transfer the kettlebell from one hand to another as it makes it’s way around you.

4. Do a “Crazy 8”
During this exercise you will be completing a figure-eight pattern, hence the name. If you have any Michael Jordan skills, now’s the time to show them, as this workout is similar to a basketball drill. You’re going to stand with your feet spread apart and get into a quarter squat position. Once you’re in this position, you will weave the kettlebell around the outside of the leg you want to start with and then back between legs to switch off to the other hand to continue the figure eight.

Who would’ve thought you could do so much with a simple kettlebell? The beauty lies in their multi-purposed nature and their ability to make a lasting difference in your workout. A fun fact about kettlebell exercising: According to a study done by the American Council on Exercise, you can burn up to 400 calories in 20 minutes using a kettlebell. If that’s not enough motivation to use them, I don’t know what is. Next time you hit the gym, challenge yourself to use kettlebells, collegiettes!

Photo credit: breakingmuscle.com

Natalie Cardenas is a fourth year Political Science and Spanish major at the University of Florida. She is from Miami, so Spanglish is basically her first language. She enjoys watching Friends, obsessing over stationery, and lives in black leggings. This past summer she interned with Latina Magazine in NYC, and fell in love with the city life. She plans on booking a one way ticket to the Big Apple after graduation.