6 Ways to Stay Healthy Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve approaching, it’s hard to imagine trying to eat healthy. There’s just way too much good food and fun to worry about working out and staying disciplined like you’ve been all year. That’s what New Year’s resolutions are for, right? Though that philosophy may be tempting, here are a few tweaks that should keep you from gaining the winter holiday weight.

1. Drink plenty of water, especially before a meal.
Water can make you feel more full, and studies have shown that it can cause you to eat 75 to 90 fewer calories than you would typically. Dehydration can also make you overeat, so make sure to guzzle down a glass or two before a big holiday meal.

2. Stay active even if you can’t hit the gym.
With all your family getting together,  join your cousins’ basketball game or play tag with your younger siblings. Walk the dog. Get everyone together to take a stroll around the neighborhood. Do a Turkey Trot 5K or other holiday 5K run. Be on the lookout for opportunities to stay active.  

3. Fill half of your plate with fresh veggies.
You should live by the rule of thumb to fill half of your plate with vegetables, and if none are available, go for fruit. The fiber and complex carbs of fruits and veggies will keep you fuller for longer, which means less circling back to the table for seconds.

4. Only fill a quarter of your plate with goodies.  
It’s the holidays — balance is key. Eat your favorites, enjoy and savor them and don’t feel guilty, because it’s the holidays and you deserve it. Don’t deprive yourself.

5. Take a chill pill
Holidays can be stressful and busy, but use the holidays as an opportunity to catch up on sleep. When you are tired and sleep deprived you tend to eat more, so make sure to get some good shuteye.

6. Let someone else claim the leftovers.
Why let a gallon-sized bag of stuffing or an extra pie torture you? Let someone else take it home so you don’t have to spend the next few weeks wasting energy to resist the temptation.

These simple tricks will leave you feeling healthy and happy over the holidays, while still eating your favorite foods. Enjoy all of the food, fun and festivities of the holiday season!

Photo credit: cdn.moneycrashers.com

Hey! My name is Jean and I write for Her Campus UFL. I am a sophomore and my major is political science. I love working out, watching netflix, shopping, having fun with friends, going to the beach, and eating (especially chipotle). I hope you enjoy my stories. Go Gators